DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay gang!

I'm looking at a 2011 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QCSB with a 5.7L Hemi, in Deepwater Pearl.

Looks to be in decent shape, little dirty, but it's got only 49,7XX miles!

Upgrades include a K&N Cold Air Intake, aftermarket Halo/LED Headlights and Tail lights, a LUND Bullbar (minus the LED Bar that used to be in it), and LED upgrades in the cabin lights.

What I'm wanting to know is worst case.

It looks like it's been taken care of up until about 3 months ago (the boy that traded it in, his father passed away, and it looks like he's had some... fun with daddy's truck...) but I'm just wondering what I should be looking for, issue wise?

Should I be worried about the LED's? it doesn't appear that there are resistors installed...

What have you seen gone wrong? What have you seen gone right?

Pro's and cons of this truck?

Thank you in advance! (PS, I work for the dealership I'd be buying this from ;) )

·
Registered
589 Posts
maybe read some threads in the 2011 forum about the 5.7 hemi eating cams for that year. I had one myself, motor was fine when i traded it in, but just pointing you in the direction so you can make an informed decision

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Ram_1500/2011/
seems to be complaints about some fuel pumps going bad at about 70,000 miles

2011 was the first year of the ZF rear differential
when they first came out, the cover fill plug was too low & the differential fluid was not getting out to the axle bearings, Ram told all of the customers to get the differential cover replaced FREE at the dealerships.
The replacement covers had the fill hole at the correct height

Reactions: KelseytheDodgeGirl

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Deep Water Blue is a beautiful color, that truck sounds very similar to my dad's 2009 2wd:

As mentioned, make sure the diff cover recall was applied if it was applicable to the truck.

Also, make sure the pinion nut recall was done-that truck is in the 2005-2013 manufacture date range for that recall.

Check the exhaust manifolds for warping and make sure the bolts aren't broken.

Check the headliner to make sure there are no signs of the 3rd brake light leaking.

Other than that just check for the same stuff you would on any other truck: seals, bushings, and the like. You are in the rust belt so look up behind the wheelwell liners to make sure there is none.

The issue Charlieb mentioned seems to mostly affect 2011s, but there are 2009s, 2010s, 2011s, 2012s, and even 2013s that have had it happen. We have a 38 page sticky on it here with over 370 posts, but aren't sure if its a QC issue, oil issue, material quality issue or what:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=188978

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
maybe read some threads in the 2011 forum about the 5.7 hemi eating cams for that year. I had one myself, motor was fine when i traded it in, but just pointing you in the direction so you can make an informed decision
I was looking at all/some of those, it's concerning but yeah..

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Ram_1500/2011/
seems to be complaints about some fuel pumps going bad at about 70,000 miles

2011 was the first year of the ZF rear differential
when they first came out, the cover fill plug was too low & the differential fluid was not getting out to the axle bearings, Ram told all of the customers to get the differential cover replaced FREE at the dealerships.
The replacement covers had the fill hole at the correct height
I love using carcomplaints, but! My current truck is branded "avoid like the plague, clunker!" by them and is in the top 10ish list of cars to avoid. I love my truck, so I take their complaints with a grain of salt.

There is indeed a leaky rear diff. that's interesting. It's had two recalls done, and that seems to be one of them...?

Rear Axle Fluid Drain-back Flow Restrictor/ K36 and Rear Axle Pinion Nut/ N08

Deep Water Blue is a beautiful color, that truck sounds very similar to my dad's 2009 2wd:

As mentioned, make sure the diff cover recall was applied if it was applicable to the truck.

Also, make sure the pinion nut recall was done-that truck is in the 2005-2013 manufacture date range for that recall.

Check the exhaust manifolds for warping and make sure the bolts aren't broken.

Check the headliner to make sure there are no signs of the 3rd brake light leaking.

Other than that just check for the same stuff you would on any other truck: seals, bushings, and the like. You are in the rust belt so look up behind the wheelwell liners to make sure there is none.

The issue Charlieb mentioned seems to mostly affect 2011s, but there are 2009s, 2010s, 2011s, 2012s, and even 2013s that have had it happen. We have a 38 page sticky on it here with over 370 posts, but aren't sure if its a QC issue, oil issue, material quality issue or what:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=188978
delete the chrome on the doors, add aftermarket headlights, a lund bull bar and slightly rusty DeeZee stepsides, and remove the B Pillar tape (I've just done that bit) and you've got twins! I wish the truck wasn't so gorgeous, I wouldn't want it nearly as bad then!

Pinion nut is done for sure, and I don't see any recalls listed by mopar for the rear diff cover, though this one is leaky.

I almost wouldn't be surprised if the manifold bolts were broken or getting ready to, but I don't see anything personally.

I'm familiar with fixing the 3rd brake light leak, though I don't see any signs of it.

Rust wise, she seems pretty sturdy. There are a few spots of it IN the bet, but that's where they literally took all the paint off throwing something in the bed of the truck..

I always have used vehicles checked by a mechanic and a body shop.
I work at the dealership that's selling the vehicle, so basically, I'm the body shop inspector (minus frame issues, which the shop looks for), and the service techs hooked me up with an inspection.

It needs a transmission flush, has a leaky rear diff, "needs new headlights" (they're aftermarkets, and service doesn't attempt to fix those types of issues, they just replace with mopar), and has some wiring for an LED bar and a back up camera that needs to be removed.

Body wise, there are some scratches and dings, but 95% of it is fixable.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Also, since pictures are much loved here:

The motor has been cleaned and the visible red and white wiring has also been removed by yours truly:

and the tail end

Finally, this thing does have local service history and locally owned, clean carfax....

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Great looking SLT :smileup:

Thanks for sharing the pictures :cool:

Reactions: KelseytheDodgeGirl

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Ah, it has the 17" wheels and chrome tow mirrors. Don't care for the taillights but the headlights don't look too bad. That wiring in the engine bay looked awful, good riddance.

Consumer Reports and all of the clickbait sites that parrot their "reliability ratings" should be ignored. They sample 200-400 vehicles of a given model each year or less, which in the case of Ram is under 0.2% of vehicles sold; so their sample sizes are statistically insignificant. This combined with their vague questions make the conclusions they extrapolate from their lazily gathered data lacking in any journalistic integrity at best. Also, while they claim to be unbiased because they don't take money from manufacturers, they have always had an axe to grind with Chrysler, and their survey methods have an inherent response bias that they take virtually no steps to mitigate. It’s easy to spot in their review articles: whereas Chrysler is criticized for having outdated technology in applicable cases, Toyota is praised for sticking with proven, reliable technology. Conversely, when Chrysler has newer technology it is assumed that it will be unreliable and Toyota is praised for innovation in a similar instance. In reality there is no way to predict the reliability of a brand new system, and their “predicted reliability” rating is a sham that bears out this same bias.

Their results can be surmised without even reading their magazine: Toyota will be at or near the top along with some German models and the big 3 will be rated below Japanese imports but above a few German cars with Ford, GM, and Chrysler in that order-every year. Their “research” is done in order to develop statistics that may be presented in support of predetermined conclusions, rather than to find factual data based on a significant sample of the population and let the facts bear out the results on their own. Marketing (look how unbiased we are!) and the fact that so many people seem to lack basic knowledge of statistical methods is why they are given any credibility at all; and a big reason that the myth of Toyotas being more reliable than any other brand is so prolific. Maybe in 1976, but the Chevette is no longer on the market, and the Pinto isn’t competing with the Corolla.

A better survey is the IHS Automotive VIO registration data for all brands of GVW 1-3 pickup trucks continuously sold in the U.S. since 1988 that Ram uses to advertise themselves as the longest lasting. Because it is based on the percentage of vehicles sold, the quantity sold is irrelevant; and it is a safe assumption that people do not generally register vehicles that don’t run, at least not a statistically significant amount of people who exclusively drive non-Ram trucks, so it is pretty close to population data-at least a far better representation than CR’s data. The 1500s also have the highest owner loyalty using the same data; and since it is reasonable to assume that people do not keep buying vehicles that leave them stranded or that they think are garbage, this too should be given far more credibility than CR.

This carcomplaints site seems to only factor in the number of complaints registered without regard for how many of that vehicle sold. Consequently this creates the possibility of a scenario where Ford who may have complaints on 7% of their vehicles, is considered less reliable than Toyota who may have complaints on 10% of their vehicles, but only sells 1/10 as many vehicles because the number of complaints is less. The above comparison is hypothetical and meant for illustrative purposes.
In order to provide accurate comparisons, the data has to be reduced to percentages because each company sells different numbers of vehicles.

TL;DR: You cannot just believe what the results of a survey tell you, you must look at how the study was done and where the information came from because statistics are easily manipulated.

As the saying goes- There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. You need to be able to spot manipulations to get any actual value from statistics.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, it has the 17" wheels and chrome tow mirrors. Don't care for the taillights but the headlights don't look too bad. That wiring in the engine bay looked awful, good riddance.

Consumer Reports and all of the clickbait sites that parrot their "reliability ratings" should be ignored. They sample 200-400 vehicles of a given model each year or less, which in the case of Ram is under 0.2% of vehicles sold; so their sample sizes are statistically insignificant. This combined with their vague questions make the conclusions they extrapolate from their lazily gathered data lacking in any journalistic integrity at best. Also, while they claim to be unbiased because they don't take money from manufacturers, they have always had an axe to grind with Chrysler, and their survey methods have an inherent response bias that they take virtually no steps to mitigate. It’s easy to spot in their review articles: whereas Chrysler is criticized for having outdated technology in applicable cases, Toyota is praised for sticking with proven, reliable technology. Conversely, when Chrysler has newer technology it is assumed that it will be unreliable and Toyota is praised for innovation in a similar instance. In reality there is no way to predict the reliability of a brand new system, and their “predicted reliability” rating is a sham that bears out this same bias.

Their results can be surmised without even reading their magazine: Toyota will be at or near the top along with some German models and the big 3 will be rated below Japanese imports but above a few German cars with Ford, GM, and Chrysler in that order-every year. Their “research” is done in order to develop statistics that may be presented in support of predetermined conclusions, rather than to find factual data based on a significant sample of the population and let the facts bear out the results on their own. Marketing (look how unbiased we are!) and the fact that so many people seem to lack basic knowledge of statistical methods is why they are given any credibility at all; and a big reason that the myth of Toyotas being more reliable than any other brand is so prolific. Maybe in 1976, but the Chevette is no longer on the market, and the Pinto isn’t competing with the Corolla.

A better survey is the IHS Automotive VIO registration data for all brands of GVW 1-3 pickup trucks continuously sold in the U.S. since 1988 that Ram uses to advertise themselves as the longest lasting. Because it is based on the percentage of vehicles sold, the quantity sold is irrelevant; and it is a safe assumption that people do not generally register vehicles that don’t run, at least not a statistically significant amount of people who exclusively drive non-Ram trucks, so it is pretty close to population data-at least a far better representation than CR’s data. The 1500s also have the highest owner loyalty using the same data; and since it is reasonable to assume that people do not keep buying vehicles that leave them stranded or that they think are garbage, this too should be given far more credibility than CR.

This carcomplaints site seems to only factor in the number of complaints registered without regard for how many of that vehicle sold. Consequently this creates the possibility of a scenario where Ford who may have complaints on 7% of their vehicles, is considered less reliable than Toyota who may have complaints on 10% of their vehicles, but only sells 1/10 as many vehicles because the number of complaints is less. The above comparison is hypothetical and meant for illustrative purposes.
In order to provide accurate comparisons, the data has to be reduced to percentages because each company sells different numbers of vehicles.

TL;DR: You cannot just believe what the results of a survey tell you, you must look at how the study was done and where the information came from because statistics are easily manipulated.

As the saying goes- There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. You need to be able to spot manipulations to get any actual value from statistics.
I agree 100% with everything up there! Thanks for that, great write-up. :)
I always do that sort of research with a skeptical mind, because on top of those ratings, I read reviews, and in my experience, people are more likely to review if something isn't right moreso than if it's all smiles.

I've put some work into making it look better for the next customer, that's for certain. There's still some more wiring that needs to go bye bye but it's not visible... so I'm not sure what these yahoos have done. Ah well. The taillights wouldn't have been my first choice, but lemme tell ya, the back up lights are like floodlights.

Great looking SLT :smileup:

Thanks for sharing the pictures :cool:
yeah, she's a looker!

SO. :Hey:

despite everyone's help, I've decided against getting this truck. Not at all because I don't think it's a marvelous deal, but because I simply would rather not have a truck payment right now, nor do I particularly like the idea of increasing insurance premiums. The truck doesn't have every feature I want (prefer vinyl or leather seats, sun roof and audio controls on the steering wheel... creature comforts that aren't necessary ;) ), so rather than bending over backwards to get this truck, I have instead decided to wait. Save up more money, and wait.

Thank you for your help! :smileup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.