DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 ram quad cab4x4 off road edition with the 5.9 v8, all stock exhaust except muffler, its a flowmaster super 44 dumped.

What would putting these shorty direct fit headers on my truck do? Like advantages and disadvantages?

And also does anyone know where to find a sound clip of a super 44 with headers on a 5.9 dodge?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
pro it would flow better with headers
con under hood temps would be hotter

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you do put headers on it, don't get a cheap set. get gibson or even the summit brand headers. cheap ones wont always seal right . i found out the hard way. like moparornocar said, there will be more power and torque, but underhood temps will rise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about using header wrap? Would that help with the temp?

And the ones im getting are from summit.

And what would it do to the sound? My super 44 has a deep throaty rumble but is somewhat quiet, like when u rev it u can kinda hear more sound from under the hoof I guess from the fan, a lil more than the exhaust.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same truck as you but in white, bought it new. I've had edelbrock shorty headers on it for about 5 years or more...so long ago I don't remember. I've had zero problems w/them. bought from summit & I forget the price. They go on so easy and bolt up to your Y pipe so quick, it's almost dissapointing to think you spent this much money for such a fast wrenching job! Oh, I live where temperatures are extreme & the truck still runs cool.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got edelbrock shortys on my 02 5.9 definitley made it breathe better and along with the flowmasters it sounds great too. Like mentioned before they def do get really hot and can be pricey!!! id say go for it imho

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got edelbrock shortys on my 02 5.9 definitley made it breathe better and along with the flowmasters it sounds great too. Like mentioned before they def do get really hot and can be pricey!!! id say go for it imho
Do you notice any problems with the high temps? What could this cause? Any negatives to this? I have an 02 5.9 V8 Quad cab as well, however I only have a K&N CAI. Im wanting to make her scream. So im looking at headers and exhaust any ideas will help. Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
header wrap is sapposed to be the best thing for headers its sapposed to make the heat stay in the tubes and make it flow a hell of alot better my buddy dynod his camaro with and without header wrap and he put more hp to the wheels with it than without

·
Registered
15 Posts
"The use of header wraps can cause the header tubes to crack or rust due to excessive heat and moisture build–up. FlowTech does not recommend the use of header wraps as this will void the warranty." -www.holley.com

This was the only reason I was curious? Im looking at getting the Hooker Headers for my truck. Im mainly just wondering what all the extra heat in the engine bay could cause? What harm will it do to my truck? Any help will be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have headers on a really high performance engine in my camaro, have had headers on just about every ride I have ever owned, and NEVER have I had an underhood temperature problem! It is not a problem one bit.
The 44 series flowmaster sounds good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts