DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 MegaCab 5.7L V8 Hemi
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a steering gear box replaced? I don't think my warranty covers gaskets seals, rather all internally lubricated parts.

Am I about to go into another money pit sink hole?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Steering gearboxes vary in prices from 150-450... or a rebuild kit DIY for under 50.
really not a money pit, once done it should last a long time ( most last a lifetime of the vehicle )

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering gearboxes vary in prices from 150-450... or a rebuild kit DIY for under 50.
really not a money pit, once done it should last a long time ( most last a lifetime of the vehicle )
My true question, I suppose... what would be my out of pocket if my insurance only covers internally lubricated parts and the gearbox

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warranty? Like car shield?
It's an extended warranty that was bought through the dealership. Alpha is the company, and we have the aloha a+ enhanced coverage.
But they won't tell me when I call what my out of pocket will be.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can’t see that being a sign of good faith from them. 😕
Thats what I'm worried about. I know there are some things they won't cover, and after sinking so much into her already, idk if I can afford whatever they don't cover.
Thats why I was trying to get a ball park if anyone has experience with what's all entailed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You’re best bet is most likely gonna be a salvage yard. Steering boxes normally last forever. Rack & pinion bullshit not so much. (Had to replace mine.) No idea how much a salvage yard charges for a box but I’d guess around $50 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You’re best bet is most likely gonna be a salvage yard. Steering boxes normally last forever. Rack & pinion bullshit not so much. (Had to replace mine.) No idea how much a salvage yard charges for a box but I’d guess around $50 🤷🏻‍♂️
Is it easy to fix for someone who's a tiny bit mechanically inclined?

When I went to pull a part to get this tiny metal piece

They literally only had 4 3rd gens... and none were megacabs. 2 were early 3rd gens... not much to choose from unfortunately

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to gonext week. I don't really know what it looks like ,or how to get it apart lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
What’s the capacity of the “tiny metal piece” ...? Doesn’t exactly look familiar to me. And are you sure you need a steering box? Is it stripped out or something?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe this’ll work right. 🤞🏻
The tiny metal piece is what goes inside the wiper arm, and slides down into a channel on the part that doesn't have a name

It locks the wiper arm in place.

yeah, almost certain. We've had to unscrew a hex bolt, tighten up a screw that sits inside of that, and retightwn the hex about 5x since Christmas due to extreme excessive play in the steering wheel.

The guy at the new dealership I went to told me that piece is actually factory set, and if we're able to do that, the gear box is shot, because we should never have to do that.

She goes in Tuesday just to be sure. Also gonna have them replace the turn signal switch and the blower motor while she's in there (all under warranty)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think I’ll be 48 on Tuesday. I wish I had some warranty left. Good thing I never tear up. 😂
That borgeson box sure don’t look like $600 worth of anything. Maybe your covered for all of it. 😉

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
465 Posts
I'll have to gonext week. I don't really know what it looks like ,or how to get it apart lol
Here is a great video showing what t takes to remove a steering box on your Ram.
Doing it at a Pull-Apart is not going to be fun. Need a Pitman arm puller, and an 18mm Line Wrench, and a large wrench for the Pitman Arm nut. And 18mm socket and ratchet for the frame mount bolts.
Hopefully you get some good news from the warranty side!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a great video showing what t takes to remove a steering box on your Ram.
Doing it at a Pull-Apart is not going to be fun. Need a Pitman arm puller, and an 18mm Line Wrench, and a large wrench for the Pitman Arm nut. And 18mm socket and ratchet for the frame mount bolts.
Thanks, babe! I just looked at the Mopar store, and the Mopar box for before june 1 is discontinued. They do have boxes for after june 1. Not sure what the difference is, but I need the one that's discontinued.

Bout to watch the video.

Figure, while I'm there, I'll have them fix the turn signal switch (which is now non working) and also the blower motor (which completely quit) and it should all be under warranty.

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy balls... thats a LOT goin on. I sure hope I don't have to do that myself

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
465 Posts
Holy balls... thats a LOT goin on. I sure hope I don't have to do that myself
Especially with a truck sitting on blocks on the ground at a salvage…

here’s a good view inside the steering box and what the adjustment screw does. Maybe taking the top plate off yours would reveal something that’s too worn??? I also saw one video talking about replacing the rubber bushing in the swivel joint where the steering shaft connects to the gear box, with some aluminum bushings to remove a lot of play.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts