DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 4 door new body style 5.9 v-8 with 71k on it. Dual straight pipes from the cat cone filter tb spacer.... Just wondering why I can't do a proper burnout on dry pavement or from a stand still when I floor it? I'm not running big tires or anything any help much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry to say, it's just because it's a weak engine. I have a 5.9L too and am severely disappointed with the lack of power. The 4.7L has more horsepower than the 5.9L. I've tried doing standing burnouts too and just can't do it. I want my Hemi back.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Sorry to say it but I tend to agree. When compared to the 190hp the 360LA was rated at, the 360 Mag posted a nice increase in rating, but it remained essentially unchanged through production. By the time other high power offerings were available, Chrysler was more concerned with putting money into Hemi development than juicing the 5.2/5.9 units. The 5.9 has huge potential, but corporate emissions recertification costs serious bucks. Why bother when it was good enough at the time? Short answer...it wasn't worth it. A tight torque converter is also a way to help extend transmission life. Corporate bean counters had a hand in the low stall converter, as well as the bigger picture in mileage and emissions. Slip a higher stall converter in there and things will perk up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an 02 qc with the magnum i do burnouts wheen ever i want hahah i think what really made the difference was the sct tuner from hemifever. just tell sean your existing bolt ons or any engine mods and once you get it you should be able to burn the tires off the rim ill post a vid if you want hahah

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have a '93 3/4 ton with 4.11's and the early 360 Mag with the large early exhaust and it'll get sideways - musclecar style. Fun and a blast. Even sounds good - exhaust pipe fell off behind the cat. It was my dad's and he never bothered to fix it. Sounds so good, I don't want to.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thats what im sayin! hahah today at a red light my budy was behind me and i just started burnin right there was sideways for about 100 feet

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hell, my 96 is box-stock and can light 'em up from a dead stop without a brake stand (3.55 gears). My son's 5.9 GC can still take me in a stoplight drag though...

·
Registered
70 Posts
No idea whats up with yours..my Dakota R/T will burn the tires off at will, which has the 5.9
and how much does the little Dakota weigh compared to the full size truck your comparing it too?

my 4 banger vw kitcar will smoke em too weighing in at just over 1200 lbs....

There are lots of factors here... yes everything from mileage to rear end gears and LSD options to blown plenum gaskets and leaky or improperly set up exhausts that sound great at the cost of torque.... and torque is what you want not HP...

To the OP, with the mods you listed... if you ran it on a dyno... you would see maybe a 7-10 hp gain over stock at most... and possibly less torque than stock in the normal powerband if your mods messed with the scavenging effects of the exhaust.

I would start start by removing the ridiculous Throttle body spacer it does nothing but show anyone who sees your engine that your gullible...Honestly not trying to bash but..
THEY DO NOTHING for a magnum engine due to their intake design... this has been proven many times... they are only made and markets because of gullible buyers who dont do their homework.... I not putting you down weve all been there at one time or another.... I too had colorful expensive spark plug wires and factory style coils sold with lightning bolt stickers on them to imply they somehow defy the limitations of their design and put out a better spark (even though they often come off the same line as the oem replacements) ...
Hell even the K&N filters have been shown to have almost no or no effect on many applications over stock yet most of us have some form of them... (I like the cleaning and reusing aspect) at least that what I tell myself :4-looney:

You can put as big of a funnel as you want on top of a pop bottle and as big of a hole at the bottom.... The bottleneck is still going to be the restricting factor. The kegger and throttlebody and head valve size, displacement along with the restrictive factory accordian style intake hose all limit what an exahust and air filter can accomplish... in this day and age most engineers know to put a large enough air filter to support a stock engine.... if you mod the actual engine to where is can use the extra air flow well then thats were a high flow cone filter can shine..
We would like to believe the trucks had restrictive little cheap parts put on them to restrict performance and we can easily free up lots of power with a couple of bolt on swaps but these arent Harleys and dodge didnt design them with the intent to sell you factory "performance stage packages" to free up performance they intentionally buried..

short of roller rockers and better flowing heads most of the performance add ons for our trucks do very little or have drawbacks as most have discovered on a dyno...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts