DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If my memory serves me right, the spare key in the fob is for unlocking the truck only, not for starting, which is not very useful to me (I do not have the button start). If you still have access to the u-connect app, you can unlock your truck from there. Also having a spare key in a magnetic key box hidden outside of the cab can come in handy at some point, providing that your fob is locked inside. But having a spare fob battery on hand, should that die, would be very good indeed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The start button pops off and there is an ignition behind it.
How do you pop off the push start button to access a key ignition? I thought the spare key only worked the tailgate, bedgate, and rambox? Any pictures of the start button removed to show what's under?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, it will not allow you to lock the fob in the truck unless you have the other fob outside the truck.

·
Registered
885 Posts
SuperIke is correct. If you have the factory alarm, opening the door with the key will trigger the alarm and you can't turn it off unless you have a fob. And if you have a fob, you don't need a key to get into the truck.

Maybe I am missing something here.
See my post above.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How do you pop off the push start button to access a key ignition? I thought the spare key only worked the tailgate, bedgate, and rambox? Any pictures of the start button removed to show what's under?

Sorry in my 2012 Grand Cherokee with keyless and go you pap the start button off. My Ram doesn't have keyless and go and someone else said in this thread the 2014 keyless and go start buttons no longer pop off. They said you have to touch the key fob to the start button if the battery is dead. I'm guessing they use an RFID like tech to energize a transmitter in the FOB at very close range.

·
Registered
292 Posts
SuperIke is correct. If you have the factory alarm, opening the door with the key will trigger the alarm and you can't turn it off unless you have a fob. And if you have a fob, you don't need a key to get into the truck.

Maybe I am missing something here.
My thoughts too. I'll ask the dealer when I bring it in for its first service. It's not very well designed if somehow you cannot stop the alarm when the key fob is dead.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I use the "second" extra key as my "idiot" key and keep it in my wallet just in case I lock the "extra key" in the fob in the truck with the fob.
The button on the door handle won't lock the doors if the key FOB is inside of the truck, at least on my push button start Limited it won't.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Possibly but I haven't heard of any changes. If your fob is inside and no fob is near the outside, the horn should beep 3 times and the doors will unlock. Do it a second time and the same thing happens. On the 3rd time the doors should stay locked. It was mentioned in my owner's manual as well which I also tried out to confirm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can also confirm that trying to lock the doors with the fob inside will only work on the 3rd attempt. First couple times it would beep at me then unlock the doors. I thought this was pretty cool!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is how I locked my keys in the truck with it running and the FOB inside. With the truck in Park, open the door it will unlock all doors. Then close the door and lock the doors with the lock button, all doors lock. Then once again you just open the door with the door handle and only the drivers door will unlock, and a simple manual push on the lock will lock the door, key FOB still connected to the ignition, truck running and no horn indication.

When I pick my kids up from daycare, I normally do this and take the key out of the FOB. But this particular day I took my D ring off not paying attention to what I did. oops:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The extra key lets you open the driver door or lock/unlock the tailgate. It is a lot easier than digging the key out of the fob, especially if you have anything slick on your hands that makes it hard to slide the catch over.

Then again, I just have keyless entry, not push button start so YMMV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the real value of the key is if or when your truck battery should die, you can get the door open so you can raise the hood for a jump.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts