DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal for next year is to squeak into the high 13's, my best time to date is a [email protected], that's with an awful launch (2.6 sec 60') I'm planning to pick up some Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in either a 285/55R20 or a 305/50R20, they're a relatively light tire (The 305 is 10lbs lighter than the 285, weighing 47lbs) They should hook up significantly better than the luggy 33x12.5's I was running before. I've seen youtube vids of guys getting into the 13's with a tune and exhaust. But my DA is around 4300ft which blows.

Think I could get close? Here would be the set up....

8 Speed with 3.92's
Jay Greene custom tune
JBA 1 3/4" catless longtubes
Carven race muffler w/o resonators, 3" piping all the way
Vararam with the 87mm throttle body
Those tires listed above, don't wanna go any smaller than a 32"

There was an 8 speed sport crew cab on the factory 20's with those exact mods on Jay Greene's facebook page that ran a 13.02 or something. I have absolutely no clue how....

Looking forward to some feedback, thanks as usual!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in the high 13's with parts as follows

My own custom tune with Hp Tuners software on 89 octane not 93
flow master muffler
1 3/4 shorty headers
vararam intake
E-fan swap
AGS delete
180 t-stat
stock 8 speed
and 3.92's

I am also basically running the truck at just over sea level 34' to be exact so your location and DA conditions will also have a play into the times you will run. If you want to go deeper into the 13's removing the rear seats, tailgate, minimal fuel amount if you wanted and drop the spare tire doing these will net you some gain, personally I just never wanted to go through the hassle of removing all of this and having to reinstall it again.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Da is key...if you're at 4300 the only way to get there is to spray...it's like watching vids of Bandemere in Colorado..cars that I think should be fast are running slow times..Da is killing times. Plus, you don't want to go to a smaller tire setup for the track as well, that will hurt your times too. But also try the little things as well like going to a cooler thermostat. That exhaust setup, is it single 3" all the way? No duals anywhere right?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm in the high 13's with parts as follows

My own custom tune with Hp Tuners software on 89 octane not 93
flow master muffler
1 3/4 shorty headers
vararam intake
E-fan swap
AGS delete
180 t-stat
stock 8 speed
and 3.92's

I am also basically running the truck at just over sea level 34' to be exact so your location and DA conditions will also have a play into the times you will run. If you want to go deeper into the 13's removing the rear seats, tailgate, minimal fuel amount if you wanted and drop the spare tire doing these will net you some gain, personally I just never wanted to go through the hassle of removing all of this and having to reinstall it again.
Thanks for the info, were those times on the stock 33's in your pic? I think I could make a bit more power than you having long tubes and a 91 octane custom tune but the DA is a huge difference. Looks like I could maybe pull off a 14 second flat time based off your runs.

Da is key...if you're at 4300 the only way to get there is to spray...it's like watching vids of Bandemere in Colorado..cars that I think should be fast are running slow times..Da is killing times. Plus, you don't want to go to a smaller tire setup for the track as well, that will hurt your times too. But also try the little things as well like going to a cooler thermostat. That exhaust setup, is it single 3" all the way? No duals anywhere right?
That's true for sure, it seems like at sea level these trucks with the 3.92's run mid to high 14's bone stock. I've heard from a few guys and from a DA calculator that I'm losing around 0.5 sec because of it. How would a smaller tire hurt my times? Shifting into a higher gear towards the end? I thought the tires would have the biggest impact but comparing my 33's to 35's there was only a 3/10th's difference, mind you the launch on 33's is tough. The incredible hemi on youtube only lost 3/10th's going from a 33' down to his 28' radials.

The exhaust set up will be 3" from the headers back into a single in, dual out muffler (Still deciding on which muffler I'll run because this carven R series will be insanely loud without cats) I believe guys said 3" is fine as long as you have a custom tune for it. I don't see how 2.5" would be better if its 3" off the headers?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info, were those times on the stock 33's in your pic? I think I could make a bit more power than you having long tubes and a 91 octane custom tune but the DA is a huge difference. Looks like I could maybe pull off a 14 second flat time based off your runs.
Yes I am running the stock tire configuration and at pretty much full weight depending on fuel tank volume.
I'm more of a run in street trim kind of person, cutting weight is fine to produce a number but I was looking for something consistent and reliable to drive to the track with the wife and kids do a few runs and load everyone back up and have no issues while still having fun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I am running the stock tire configuration and at pretty much full weight depending on fuel tank volume.
I'm more of a run in street trim kind of person, cutting weight is fine to produce a number but I was looking for something consistent and reliable to drive to the track with the wife and kids do a few runs and load everyone back up and have no issues while still having fun.
Same here, I'd maybe drop the spare tire and tail gate but I don't have the patience to take my seats out lol. Could you hook up on those tires? I may just find some cheap take offs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts