DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve seen lots of mention on here about wheel spacers and I`m wondering, are they just needed for wider tires with stock wheels? I`m going to be getting 33x12.5 tires and 18" wheels so wouldn`t wheels with less backspacing do the same as using wheel spacers?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yes and yes....for the most part spacers are only used to push stock wheels out further in order to run wider tires. Rims with less backspacing accomplish the same thing. If you are getting new aftermarket rims it's much easier, cheaper, and safer to just order the rims in the proper offset/backspacing to clear whatever you are mounting them on.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Yes to both. There are times and places to use wheel spacers. If you MUST have a wide tire, and you aren't able to get a backspacing that will work with your suspension geometry, then you can safely run a proper wheel spacer. If you're looking at a plate spacer you should never go thicker than 1/8" unless you get longer studs. But if you need to seriously get some spacing, then a proper lug adapter/spacer is the way to go. They start at 1 1/2" normally, but they aren't great for vehicles that put out crazy torque numbers simpley because of the way you've moved the torque moment outside of the designed geometry that the hubs/axles can take and you can snap axles/half-shafts quickly doing that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts