DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting everything together to do the lift on my 2012 Ram finally and the last piece of the puzzle is wheels. I've settled on a 6" RCX Lift, Bilsteins @ 2.1" and I think a 1" spacer. I am going to do 35 x 12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts.

I like the look of black rims with a bit of chrome to break up the monotony, but I am open minded. Im lookin for somethin with either 0 or -12mm offset. What do you guys think? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
wheels

Miky Thomson wheels are the best looking. Just a suggestion, try and avoid massive wheels with thin tires. If your going for the burly look then go for big wide tires and smaller wheels so the tires hang out. That's just my opinion, if your truck is going to be a pavement princess then I don't know if burly would be very good on gas milage.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
17" or 18" rim would look awesome for your truck. Look at some Fuel rimz, they have plenty that are black with a little chrome. My XD Addicts are a nice black rim with -12 offset.
The Nitto's are some tires and work great. I am running the Toyo Open Country M/T which are very similar, and they have not let me down yet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was shocked at how good my rims looked when I saw them in person vs the internet. I run XD Cranks with a 0 offset and what I like about them is the fact that the black paint is flat instead of gloss. It hides brake dust and really makes the limited amount of machining on the rim pop, especially in the sun and paired with a tire like the Nittos... Thats the fun part about threads like this, everyone likes something totally different.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love this forum.

I never really thought about dropping down a wheel size to 18s from my 20s. Most 35s on 20s look pretty good but I love the look of a nice tire. I think its a win win either way. You either spend more money on a slightly bigger tire and less on a slightly smaller rim or visa versa. I think there is more comfort to be had with more sidewall.

I love all your wheels though. I like the -12mm offset too so the tire sticks out from the fender just enough to look mean.

Price wise, whats the difference between your average Fuel and XD rim?

Look wise, what do you guys prefer: A 6" with Bilsteins set 2.1 or lower, or a 4" lift with tires a little more snug in the well?

Sweet trucks guys!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Fuel and XD wheels are pretty much at the same price point for the most part. When I bought my Fuel Pumps they where the same price as the XD Monster's.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I love this forum.

I never really thought about dropping down a wheel size to 18s from my 20s. Most 35s on 20s look pretty good but I love the look of a nice tire. I think its a win win either way. You either spend more money on a slightly bigger tire and less on a slightly smaller rim or visa versa. I think there is more comfort to be had with more sidewall.

I love all your wheels though. I like the -12mm offset too so the tire sticks out from the fender just enough to look mean.

Look wise, what do you guys prefer: A 6" with Bilsteins set 2.1 or lower, or a 4" lift with tires a little more snug in the well?

Sweet trucks guys!
All about the big sidewalls, less chance at scratching the rims :LOL:
Fuel and XD are about equal in everthing, just comes down to personal preference in the looks. Some fuel rims may have a backorder of 2 months because they don't mass produce them apparently.
I am all for the 6", I don't know what height to set the Bilsteins at though. BrandonJansen ran a 6" with bilsteins with 35's and it looked awesome, he would be good to ask about the adjustables height.
-12 looks mean. I may add a little spacer after my lift just because I do like a wider stance and being as wide as a parking spot, but -12 does look perfect with a level and a 6" lift. Here is a front and back pic of my -12 offset and how far they stick out on my 3rd gen with just 2" bilstein level.

·
Registered
277 Posts
All about the big sidewalls, less chance at scratching the rims :LOL:
Fuel and XD are about equal in everthing, just comes down to personal preference in the looks. Some fuel rims may have a backorder of 2 months because they don't mass produce them apparently.
I am all for the 6", I don't know what height to set the Bilsteins at though. BrandonJansen ran a 6" with bilsteins with 35's and it looked awesome, he would be good to ask about the adjustables height.
-12 looks mean. I may add a little spacer after my lift just because I do like a wider stance and being as wide as a parking spot, but -12 does look perfect with a level and a 6" lift. Here is a front and back pic of my -12 offset and how far they stick out on my 3rd gen with just 2" bilstein level.

Nice truck!! With you running -12 and no flares how bad are the rock chips down the sides? I'm running a +20 with at's and before my mud flaps it was ridiculous driving down a dirt road. Sounded like my truck was just getting pelted non stop with rocks

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Nice truck!! With you running -12 and no flares how bad are the rock chips down the sides? I'm running a +20 with at's and before my mud flaps it was ridiculous driving down a dirt road. Sounded like my truck was just getting pelted non stop with rocks

Thanks a lot:smileup: The beautiful part about a silver truck, is stuff like that gets hidden real easy. Surprisingly I actually don't have any rock chips that I can see, I think it's just because my truck is so damn dirty all the time, that the dirtiness had built up a protective wall:LOL:.
I hear rocks ring the doors every once in a while, and if the roads are snowy or slushy I gotta be careful having the windows opened because that stuff flies. Was having a smoke and turned right with hand out the window and next thing I knew my hand was covered in salty slush.
The odd time I will hear a clicking sounds while driving, which ends up being a rock in the thread.. which eventually will scare the crap out of me when it goes "bang" off my truck. I don't have any plans to put mudflaps on, and doubt I will add flares either. My truck is my rig and my toy all in one, and when I got it the paint had scuffs here and there on the tailgate and sides of the box. I just maintain it properly and do clean and wax it real good, and it hasn't gotten any worst with all the playing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looks damn good! One thing that could help you keep the rock chips down is to keep your stock rims and use them as winters, this way your wheels stay in the wheel wells when the salt and sand starts flying. I run a 0 offset and my rims only stick out 12mm less then Canadian Hemi's. I haven't had any issue with chips yet... But I do run mud flaps for a "just in case"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final Question

After speaking with Bully's it sounds like because I have a 2012 4wd, the gear change needed to make 37s bearable is pretty expensive. For now, I will settle on 35 x 12.5's, but I find myself wondering whether I should do 18 or 20 inch wheels. I know I want it to look beefy with the -12mm offset and I know I am doing a 6" RCX lift with the Bilsteins set at 1.4" w/no spacer.

What do you guys think? Im having a hard time finding these exact 2 setups on here.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
After speaking with Bully's it sounds like because I have a 2012 4wd, the gear change needed to make 37s bearable is pretty expensive. For now, I will settle on 35 x 12.5's, but I find myself wondering whether I should do 18 or 20 inch wheels. I know I want it to look beefy with the -12mm offset and I know I am doing a 6" RCX lift with the Bilsteins set at 1.4" w/no spacer.

What do you guys think? Im having a hard time finding these exact 2 setups on here.
Everyone is different, but I love the look of the bigger sideways and how it makes the tire look beefier with smaller rims. 20's looks nice, but I think it takes away from the M/T tire look.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'll go with the 18 and the money I save on Wheels I can put towards a tuner. Hows that logic sound?

Beefy tires, same height and a tuner. Looks like a WIN on paper.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I think I'll go with the 18 and the money I save on Wheels I can put towards a tuner. Hows that logic sound?

Beefy tires, same height and a tuner. Looks like a WIN on paper.
Sounds like a damn good plan to me:smileup:
I am running the diablosport Trinity T-1000.. It is an awesome tuner.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like that plan! I love having more tire than rim, you never worry about curb rash! Plus it always looks way more beefy and truck like to show off your treads more than your rim.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sound logic. It probably makes more sense for what I do anyways. I have pretty heavy weight in my bed often so the 18" tire probably helps my rating a little bit. I can probably sleep tonight now. I think we've struck a balance here boys.

Ill pull the trigger in the AM and keep yall updated. I'd like to get it done before this Chicago winter slows down; so far, we've gotten like 5' of snow accumulated and my truck is craving some quality time with the drifts.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Sound logic. It probably makes more sense for what I do anyways. I have pretty heavy weight in my bed often so the 18" tire probably helps my rating a little bit. I can probably sleep tonight now. I think we've struck a balance here boys.

Ill pull the trigger in the AM and keep yall updated. I'd like to get it done before this Chicago winter slows down; so far, we've gotten like 5' of snow accumulated and my truck is craving some quality time with the drifts.
Keep us updated. I am stuck working outside today on out lot removing snow with the front end loader we called in. I need some good news lol.
Ivd loaded my truck up scrap metal and concrete, and alsl had 10,000 pounds trailer on it. I think having less rim for sure helped.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love this forum.

Sweet trucks guys!
i know it isnt a dodge, but this is my boyfriend's truck super swampers. perfect example of why smaller rims and bigger tires are better!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts