DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a friend who is taking a job in England and will be selling his truck in the next few weeks. He has a 2015 1500 Laramie with the 20x9 oem wheels. My truck is a 2017 1500 Lone Star with the 20x8 oem wheels.

I'm wanting to swap his wheels for mine (keep my tires, have a shop swap them out), but the concern is if it will negatively effect his resale value (private party or to a local carmax). Can anyone offer any insight?

My wheels are on the grey truck, his are just the wheel in the picture. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I can't see it really affecting the value. 5 spoke wheels look better anyway

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,652 Posts
I'll hold my tongue and just tell you to see what KBB says about removing premium aluminum wheels and replacing them with base model narrower plastic covered ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll hold my tongue and just tell you to see what KBB says about removing premium aluminum wheels and replacing them with base model narrower plastic covered ones.

There's 4 options on KBB.com: Alloy wheels, premium wheels, oversized offroad wheels, and oversized premium wheels 20"+.

Since he doesn't have anything offroad on his truck, I ran it with the other 3.

O/S Premium 20"+ - $25,175 - $27,996

Premium wheels - $25,042 - $27,863 -$133 from O/S

Alloy wheels - $24,917 - $27,738 -$258 from O/S
-$125 from premium

That is for trade in values. Private party values differed by even less.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

But what does it say about swapping 5 spoke Big Horn chrome clad 20s for 6 spoke Laramie chrome clad 20s, when they are both aluminum wheels?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Did not know those were covers, the 8-9” width is the dealbreaker for me, but if you’re running stock width it’s all preference. The 6 thin spokes appear more luxury vs 5 being more... base or run of the mill.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
But what does it say about swapping 5 spoke Big Horn chrome clad 20s for 6 spoke Laramie chrome clad 20s, when they are both aluminum wheels?
So the limiteds come aluminum polished like the sport wheels or what? My old man definitely has polished aluminum 6 spoke on his. They appear extremely similar.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Laramie snowflake wheels are chrome clad, not polished aluminum. It depends on which Limited wheels he has-the styles have changed throughout the years and I think the newer ones are painted aluminum with polished pockets or something like that

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you plan on keeping the truck, I wouldn't worry about it. Do what looks good to your eye. I think the re-sell value will not be impacted much by the wheels that are on it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Laramie snowflake wheels are chrome clad, not polished aluminum. It depends on which Limited wheels he has-the styles have changed throughout the years and I think the newer ones are painted aluminum with polished pockets or something like that
Very similar to the sport wheels, this is technically a lone star but his is a laramie limited.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Very similar to the sport wheels, this is technically a lone star but his is a laramie limited.
Yeah those are non chrome clads and a different style than the OP is talking about. Is your old man's a 2012?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
He has a 14 as well, 0 issues other than a 40 below night at the cabin locking the air suspension up.

Maybe it's just from seeing 90 percent of rams on the road with the base clads. I'd definitely need some cash in my pocket on a trade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts