DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a 2010 RAM 1500 Quad cab. I have the 20 inch Chrome clad wheels. My question is Has anyone ever took off the chrome over lays on your wheels? I have seen replacement OEM replacements on ebay, just wondering if anyone has done this? If so, please give give input on how hard/easy it was to change them. I have a huge scratch/gouge on one wheel and it bugs the crap out of me. I was told by a service tech they are glued on. I have never tried to take them off, so I do not know if this is true or not. Thanks in advance.
:Hey:

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The chrome plastic is bonded on, some people have chipped them off & painted or plasti dipped them
I can't tell you if they were easily balanced after that was done

Around me there are a load of used tire shops take have Take Off Rims, Maybe Discount Tire has some used ones, when they replaced someone rims with the After Market brands

Some members may also be selling some, after they did an upgrade

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I've got a co-worker who's got a 3rd gen 3500 dually that he took the chrome clads part off of. He's happy with the results, says it was a major PITA to get it done.

I think he spent several hours on each wheel, used some sort of heat gun, a pry bar of sorts, and a lots of patience. He then painted them flat black after getting 'em cleaned up and prepped for painting. I think he said the entire project took him close to a week to complete.

I wasn't too up on the new look of the wheels, but he was happy with it, and it's his truck, so I guess that is what's important.

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It figures. There are no easy way to just pop off and pop back on.:LOL:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts