DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a certified pre-owned 2016 ram 1500 big horn 4wd quad cab. It has 23000 miles on it. How often should the oil be changed? I'm used to older cars where I would change it every 3000 miles. It was just changed at 20500.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Welcome from Plattsburgh, NY....Glad to have you here at ForumZ....We like pictures so when you get some time send a few this way....Did you by chance get a owners manual with your new ride if so going by that you can't go wrong....If you didn't get one you can go on line and download one. Other things to consider would be are you going to tow alot, do you do a lot of stop and go traffic driving, etc....Manual covers all that....

·
Registered
737 Posts
According to the manual;
1500 Models Only
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350
hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350
hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern
for fleet customers.
That said, many people, including myself, prefer to change the oil and filter every 6000 or so. With today's modern engines and synthetic lubricant technology there's no need to adhere to the shorter oil change intervals of yesteryear.
You might find this helpful too;
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine
(1500/2500/3500 Models)
Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent
is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
illustration in this section.
Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.
The Owner's Manual is definitely worth having available, and as @Beagleman noted it's available as a download free of charge.

·
Super Moderator
5,554 Posts
Welcome to Ramforumz! We're glad to have you on board. Congrats on the recent purchase of your 2016 Ram! I think you'll find this forum to be a valuable resource for you & your Ram. There is a lot of information here, browse through & have a look. When you get a chance, post a picture or two of your truck here.

I am going to move your post to another area of the forum, so it will get more answers. Although, I think you've gotten a couple good responses, already. Again, welcome & enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome from Central Texas. Just my rule, it is Very Hot here in TX so that has a factor. I change my Oil every 5000 miles, and have tires rotated every 5000. So when I get near that mark, I know mentally to get it done. Just easier. U know change a 5000, 10000,15000 etc etc... And I USE Full Synthetic, not the 5-20 Mopar Blend. I stay with the 5 W 20, but if I see gonna be an extremely hot stretch, go to 5 W 30 for heat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I now have 82,000 mi on my 2014 1500 and I generally do 5 to 7,000 mile intervals using full synthetic. I do mostly highway driving and not much in-town driving. I would go to 8,000 miles but I do tow a boat or RV occasionally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts