DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 96 ext cab the other day and am having a bit of a problem figuring out where or how to anchor a forward facing carseat in the rear seat if possible.
Its rear facing now but she is right at the point of needing to turn it around so I need to sort it out quickly.
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
In the United States most police departments have someone trained to properly instruct a parent in installing the car seat. I'm not sure if it applies to Canada.

Maybe someone else here has done it and can help you out.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Out here in California, the child safety seat law just changed

California Law (Effective 01/01/2012):Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

Children under the age of 8 who are 4' 9" or taller may be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.

The booster seat raises the child up so that the regular seat belt fits them correctly

http://www.carseatdata.org/

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
If memory serves the tether's didn't come stock on those trucks and had to be installed by the dealer. Was basically a strip of seat belt with a big washer in it bolted to the back wall of the cab.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
in my 96 space cab (in Canada), the tether was down in behind the rear seat behind the seat back near the floor...a real pain in the arse to get to...

if you dont have it, contact the dealer. they usually have a kit for the tether anchor you can add (as stump3r indicated) ...if im not mistaken they are free too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check with the dealer again tomorrow. The guy I talked to at the local dealership didnt seem to have a clue yesterday.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I'll check with the dealer again tomorrow. The guy I talked to at the local dealership didnt seem to have a clue yesterday.
not surprising...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I don't think anchor was standard til 99 or 2000 you might have to use an E clip on the seat belt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think anchor was standard til 99 or 2000 you might have to use an E clip on the seat belt.
I beleive its law up here to have it anchored. By E clip do you mean the clip to hold the shoulder and lap sections together to go through the carseat?
I hope that wording made sense.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thats the E clip.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I don't know the laws in canada but if yours dosnt have latch anchor built in, I don't think you do you should be able to use E clip as long as car seat is level and tight to seat.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Are you useing a base, detachable pumpkin seat? Or five point car seat?

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Canada rules say you have to have an anchor. I had to have anchors installed in my old 99 Dakota.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well from the sounds of it from it you should be able to turn seat around and use the upper seat mount in car seat cause now you should be useing the ones below the seat now? If im thinking right. Bin a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts