DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like our local tire dealers and have been using them for over 50 years.

However, we are fortunate to have a three generation family owned alignment shop in our town, I have used them for many years and they, by reputation, are the very best. My experience with them affirms that they are truly the best.

The last time I purchased tires, I ordered them online and had them drop shipped to the the alignment shop. This worked beautifully; when I picked the car up everything was done including the alignment.

The question I have is this: Does anyone have an online source for tires where the prices are actually better? Tirerack.com folks were very competent, but the prices seem to be about the same as I can get locally.

This is a local price on tires I'm looking to put on my Ram1500 4WD Tradesman:

Michelin Defender LTX M/S
LT265 /70 R17 121R E1 OWL
Qty:4
$226.00
$904.00

Unless I can save more than 50 bucks by ordering online, I just as well buy them & have them installed locally & then take them to the alignment shop, even though this requires 2 separate trips.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
So you really like your local tire shop and are willing to throw them overboard and take your business elsewhere for a lousy $50 on $1000 purchase????

I would trust the local dealer to take care of a problem with a tire if one arose vs. online.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You missed the point. It is about using the local alignment shop and not having the car in the shop twice. I have only ordered online once and I have other cars. I will not buy online, in spite of the convenience, unless there is a significant savings. I have only seen about a $50 difference for all 4 tires. I was thinking more on the order of a 25% savings... Too bad I don't trust the tire shop I use to do the alignment.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
794 Posts
I do prefer to buy local BUT if there is a big price difference online works for me !
www.Walmart.com is one good spot. They ship to you or the local store. I purchased 4 GOODYEAR AT/S tires there $20.00 each less then in the store !
www.simpletire.com is also a good place ! Being retired I have the time to look for a good deal :) I have a PT retirement job now a couple days a week at a auto parts store. One of the shops cuts us deals so I will give them a try on my car this spring ! My $$$ and 50$ in my pocket is my 50$ lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
just bought from discount tire online.replace with factory goodyear sra,they were 480 shipped with 50 dollar rebate from discount tire and additional 40 from goodyear

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
You missed the point. It is about using the local alignment shop and not having the car in the shop twice. I have only ordered online once and I have other cars. I will not buy online, in spite of the convenience, unless there is a significant savings. I have only seen about a $50 difference for all 4 tires. I was thinking more on the order of a 25% savings... Too bad I don't trust the tire shop I use to do the alignment.

I understand, I don't really see much savings on that size/brand tire though.

You could probably get your local tire place to just drop them off at the alignment shop and have that shop do all of the work.
Or if you don't want to offend them, just ask to buy them to take out the door - then load them up and head to the alignment shop.

Tirerack does give a 2 year road hazard included for free - if that helps make the decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, ? Having the local shop drop them off to the alignment shop may be the best option. They are just around the corner from one another.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, my experience is that local shops will match online prices when shipping is thrown in. The only time I buy online and drop ship is when the local guy can't get the tire I want or I am buying a tire/wheel package. The local guy doesn't seem to mind as they get paid for mounting and balancing and thats where most of his money comes from.

On line, Dicounttiredirect and Tirerack have the best prices. Sometimes you can find a deal on ebay or walmart.

Those tires are currently $842 with free shipping at discounttire, a $60 savings :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I put on Michelin Defender LTX tires in August and really like them. The cost per tire was $232.99 at Costco, a total of $931.96. However there are other charges and tax that add on to the total cost, including disposal fees. These tires have 70,000 mile warranty which is prorated based on 2/32 of a inch or less in remaining tread depth (which ever comes first). I am pretty sure I will not get to 70,000 before a purchase of a new truck so not really worried about that. This is definitely not he cheapest way to go, but Costco has always treated our family right in returns and warranty so I feel satisfied.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used tirebuyer.com and really like them. They also seems to have better prices too with the option to use local businesses to mount the tires. A good alternate to the Michelin defender is the Kuhmo tire. They make one that looks just like the defender. Anyway good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discounted wheel warehouse. I bought many sets of wheels and tires at ridiculous savings. Litterally half the price of local shops. My last purchase was the 1st time i ordered just tires. I got 4 mastercraft courser axt with white lettering.with tax and shipping came to $630. 275-55-20. 50k mile wear warranty. Didnt really drop my mpg.maybe 1mpg if anything even with a aggressive ish tread style.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts