DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. For those that haven't seen my thread on it, I just traded my 2006 4.7 for a 2004 hemi. The truck is in great shape but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. The headlights on the 2004 have that frosty oxidation look very slightly. It isn't really noticeable when the lights are off but when they are on it makes it more noticeable. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket headlights? I would prefer to stick with the stock look and something that wouldn't break the bank would be nice since its really not a necessity. I have found these and several similar but I wonder if they will leak or oxidize themselves after a year on the truck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-RAM-P...ts=Model:Ram+1500&hash=item1e6bcb6b87&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have an extra pair that I was planning on doing a mod to, not sure I'm going to do it though. The lens' are fine, but the guy I bought them from had them sitting in a garage and one of them somehow got a couple drops of oil inside. If you don't mind pulling one apart and cleaning it, I could probably let the pair go. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thasse. I just realized this thread would probably be more appropriate in the exterior/interior lighting section. If a mod could move it I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply but I couldn't get that link to work. How can I find the thread?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, gotcha. I was wondering how you got that in there without the *****.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it to work. Thanks for the info. Please update when you get them in if you don't mind. That thread made me remember that I actually bought and installed a set of Lightning headlights in my 2003 F150 some years ago and they were TYC as well. The lights looked excellent and I think I put some clear silicone around all the seams prior to install to safeguard against condesation. I didn't keep the truck long enough to say how they held up but I do remember the beam pattern was pretty $hitty. Maybe I could have adjusted them and helped it but I dunno.

Anyway, keep me updated please and thanks again!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those look really good....crystal clear. How's the beam pattern at night? I bought a Mothers headlight restoration kit over the weekend but haven't had time to use it yet. If it doesn't work to my satisfaction then I will be in the market for some new ones and these TYC are at the top of my list so far. I'm just a little worried about the beam pattern. The TYC Lightning heads that I put in my F150 had a pretty jacked up pattern at night....so bad I really don't think adjustment would have totally fixed it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Good to hear. Mine really aren't that terrible yet....it's worst along the top edge. I am debating on whether to try the Mothers kit or just return it and put that $20 towards a set of TYC.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I worked with the Mothers kit a little this evening right before it got dark. It helped but not a lot so I'm thinking about popping for the TYCs. Any more thoughts on yours? How was shipping and did they come in their original packaging? Do you recall if the lights actually say TYC on them anywhere? Thanks!

I just realized you are from NC. Where abouts are you? I'm in Mount Airy up above Winston-Salem.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I worked with the Mothers kit a little this evening right before it got dark. It helped but not a lot so I'm thinking about popping for the TYCs. Any more thoughts on yours? How was shipping and did they come in their original packaging? Do you recall if the lights actually say TYC on them anywhere? Thanks!

I just realized you are from NC. Where abouts are you? I'm in Mount Airy up above Winston-Salem.
I'm stationed in Wilmington. So far so good on the lights. To be honest I didn't look on the lights themselves to see if it said TYC, but it is all over the box. I paid $110 shipped for the set, which was cheaper than OEM and LMC. I had tried the Mother's kit but it just didn't compare.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahhh, Wilmington, gotcha...unlikely that we will run into each other then, lol. I worked with the Mothers kit for nearly an hour more on the most heavily oxidized light today and am even less impressed. So I ordered a set of TYCs from Jeremy! Thanks for the info and I'll update when I get them installed.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Just make sure you get 1 of each side, he initially sent me 2 passenger lights! Kick ass customer service though, he paid for me to send one back so he could send me the correct one. You should like them. Just make sure you measure how your originals are aligned and match the new ones up with it. The new ones come with a new headlight bulb, but you'll need your blinker bulb.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you say measure the originals so that I can align the new ones....do you mean measuring where they strike a wall so that I will have a reference point to aim for or is there some sort of adjustment screw that can be measured and set to the same length before install?

I paid yesterday and the lights shipped out by Fedex today. Jeremy has been very prompt and had great communication. I can't wait to get them in!!

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
There's 2 adjustment screws for light alignment, just measure your old ones and then adjust the new ones to match. One more thing before I forget, there is one thing off on these. The driver's side is supposed to have a flat spot on the bottom front bolt (go look at yours where the bottom bolt goes through the plastic up front) for the ambient temp sensor. The TYC doesn't have this spot flattened (when you compare them you'll see). If you can't tell what I'm talking about I'll get a picture tomorrow. A minute with a dremel fixed it and it went in beautifully.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts