DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Orange County Choppers edtn. 5.7 Hemi RAM 4x4. I just bought it (brakes all around were a THOUSAND dollars!).

I only have ONE Key. Where can I get another key? There are no markings on the key itself.

THANK YOU!

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Key for replacement?

Grey - if I have to choose from those. Though (going from memory at the moment) its grey, but perhaps "tinged" tannish as well (maybe from age or dirt?).

·
Registered
565 Posts
If the key if grey or any color other then black, it has a microchip in it and another one can be purchased at the dealership. If its black, any key cutting place can get you as many copies as you need.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Depends on Dealer. Can be $100 and i think you will need to purchase 2 sentry keys (grey) as it takes 3 to program them for your individual truck. Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in the same boat, just bought an 05 and it only had 1 key and no FOBs. Good info, thanks! Luckily, my key is back :) But i do want an fob, so guess i will have to spend some cash.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replacement chip keys - opinion?

What about this? Concerned about the "courtesy" of dealers and locksmiths are non-responsive and scant where I live. See highlighted text.

https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Dodge/Ram+Pickup+Truck/2005/1000374/

2 keys, $17.95

Description
HIGH SECURITY 'CHIP KEY' - By now, most people know their vehicle's high-tech keys are expensive at the car dealers- Now, you can get high-tech keys from us at a fraction of the cost. How does the high-tech key work? The key contains a tiny embedded electronic chip called a transponder. Each transponder has its own unique code--it's the key's 'fingerprint'. When the key is inserted into the ignition and turned, the transponder is energized and broadcasts its unique code to the car's receiver in the dashboard. If the car's receiver recognizes the code, it will allow the car to start.

Specifications
Type: Transponder Key
Keys needed to program: 2

Key Cutting/Programming
Programming this key requires 2 working keys. If you do not have 2 working keys, you will need to have the key programmed at a locksmith or dealership. The actual procedure takes a few seconds to complete and many dealerships will do it for free as a courtesy. If your dealer does charge a fee, local locksmiths usually charge much less to remain competitive.

Warranty
This item comes with a lifetime warranty and no hassle returns for 30 days.

Support
All purchases come with free phone and email support from our expert technical support staff.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Sounds like a good option. Ebay has Dodge ram 3g sentry key blanks that you can purchase and then have it cut by a locksmith and then program it yourself.
Saves a lot of $$$ than going to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
IKEYLESS is a good site to buy from

Dodge wants something like $40 for a blank & some more to cut it, at least the last time that i checked

IF you ever need to buy a FOB, make sure that it says NEW
any other word is just a way of saying, it is used & won't work in your Ram

·
Registered
28 Posts
Our local Dodge dealer quoted me $170 for a key to my 08 Ram that has the door locks and remote start on the actual key.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that once you have two keys, you can program a third one by yourself?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 duplicate key

I've looked at the sites mentioned, but the best price I saw was about $90 (2012 Ram 1500 with remote start) from ikeyless. Anyone doing better than that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts