DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats going on guys,

I have a 2011 1500. The truck has the factory trailer hook ups in the rear next to the license plate.

The problem is I cant get the clip from the back side off to see which wire plugs were. I need to know which color wire is the tail light wire on the flat 4 plug. I cant see the colors of the wires when they come directly out and its driving me nuts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is a little more then you need, but the colors for the 4 pin are the same as described in this image. I believe you need the Green, Yellow, brown and white.

Clicky

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wires under the truck for the trailer harness are white with orange strip, white with green stripe, brown, black, white, there were a couple others.

I'm trying to hook up a hitch light and I'm using the easy clips to splice the wires together under the truck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well if your hitch light has an on/off switch on it, then you just need a constant positive cable that goes to the battery and a ground. If it does not have a built in switch then you need to tie into some power, run a switch and then a wire from the switch to the light you may need a relay too. If you just want it to turn on with the reverse lights, then you need to tie it into the reverse light wire. With either case, you need to also ground the light.

Exactly which light do you have, i can try to look up the instructions, which it should have come with.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hitch light is a one of the oval shaped ram logos that lights up when the brakes are applied. The instructions tell you to just plug it into the flat 4 connector. Which is easy but it will show the wiring due to the flat 4 plug being in the bumper next to the license plate and not under the truck like the 3rd gens.

So for me to hide the wires I needed to run the wiring through the hitch to the underside of the truck. From there I can use the easy snap clips that "splice" the wires together without actually having to cut them. Problem is I don't know what color wires under the truck are to be "spliced" to what wires coming from the hitch light.

·
Registered
47 Posts
cant you just plug it in and match up the colors that way? im not exactly sure how it is mounted into your bumper, but im sure there is a way to remove it so you can see the wiring on the backside of the plug? Then line them up that way?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, Here's a pic of where my trailer plugs are located on the bumper.

Here's a pic of the trailer hitch light

Here's a pic of the factory wiring colors.

Hopefully this will give you the info needed. Im hoping to bring my tester home from work tomm so I can tell which wire is how when I press the brake pedal in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did the modification you're looking to do. It's all very easy once you pop the connector itself out of the bumper. I can't remember what the colors were, I just looked up standard 7 pin trailer wiring, and matched up the positions, once I had the connector apart.

Why can't you get the connector apart? Like I said, pop it out of the bumper first, that should only take a few seconds.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason, no matter how I try I can not get the clips out of the bumper. I cant seem to find out if there is any spot that needs to be pushed in or pinched to help release the clip while I pull it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts