·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which of the following would you run:
87 w/10% Ethanol - Cheapest
87 No Ethanol - Same price as 89 w/E10
89 w/10% Ethanol Same price as 87 w/o E10

This is what is available in my area. If 89 was available without E for same price as midgrade I would just do that. Would fuel mileage be the same between the 87 w/o and 89 with ethanol given the 89 with would've been an 87 base with ethanol added or would the ethanol reduce fuel mileage making it worse than the 87 without I wonder?

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
ethanol is corn
ethanol contains water
water causes anything metal to corrode

If your daily driving involves flat terrain, you could use 87 octane
You would improve MPG with 89 octane & it would improve power when driving in the hills

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know where ethanol comes from. We have a plant in town. :i_rolleyes:

Just debating between the two higher but similarly priced fuels. Namely to fuel mileage given one has ethanol added to reach 89 octane. I currently run at least 89 w/ethanol towing in summer but may switch to 87 without in the winter. I do occasionally put in premium but not often.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Ethanol sucks; I had a place in NC I'd get E0 89

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'd run whatever I could get in non-ethanol. I feel fortunate to have a choice of 87 and 90 octane real gas options.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
Definitely not 91/92

·
Registered
148 Posts
You know this is the 3rd gen section, correct...? There shouldn't even be a 392/6.4 section here.
I am not sure why it was moved to the 3rd gen section. I posted it under Mod Zone 6.4 Hemi V8.

Definitely not 91/92
Do not want to run 87 towing. The only other option is 89 w/ethanol which you guys said is no good. There are no other options. So.......wtf?

I forgot there was a 4th gen powertrain 6.4L area. Could this be moved there instead of 3rd gen?

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
I'd rather run E10 89 than pay out the *** for higher octane fuel than my truck can take advantage of if in that situation.

I thought I put this in 4th gen 6.4, not sure why there is even a 3rd gen 6.4 section since that engine didn't even come out until 2014. If I could create and move subforums around this site would be a lot more consistent in its organization

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I kind of figured. I like the Shell station for fuel but they don't carry 89 w/ethanol. Have to see if I can find a 'top tier' station selling 89 w/ethanol instead of 87 without.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Shell 87 for my Hemi. I don't think I can find anything without ethanol around my area though. I'd pay for it if I could. I only seem to fill the truck up once a month these days, some times longer.

EDIT: Dang, I just noticed this was for the 6.4 Hemi and not the 5.7. Hemi. Ooops.

·
Super Moderator
34,463 Posts
EDIT: Dang, I just noticed this was for the 6.4 Hemi and not the 5.7. Hemi. Ooops.

The fuel requirement is the same, I believe they are both 10.5 compression

1 - 14 of 14 Posts