DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at new 2020 Big Horn. The sales guy sent me a breakdown of the fees. I know the dealers try to improve their bottom line by adding certain fees. Which of these fees would you say the dealer added to improve their profit, thereby giving me some negotiating room?

Doc Fee 85
Lic Fee 383
reg Fee 251
esf Fee 28
Tire Fee 8.75
dmv file 30
Lojack 795
Dent 895 (I am told this will cover any dents up to the size of a credit card with 0 deductible)
theft reg 189
weight fee 154

Thanks!

·
Registered
985 Posts
So you asked, this is what I would go back and ask. Or do some research with your local DMV for some of it. What is the 85 for the Doc fee? They are charging you over 300 for the tags (which I doubt they are even close to that) Then turn around and to me double charging you for the registration/title for 250. What exactly is the ESF fee? Tire fee? really they pass this one when you buy new tires but now your gonna charge me that on a new vehicle? Do you want Lowjack at 800 bucks, then a little ways down looks like they are charging you to activate it @ 189 bucks. The dent fee looks suspecious at 900 smackers as you will have insurance on it anyways. Also what is a weight fee, they already are charging over $700 for what looks to be tags, title registration documentation fees. And I thought these crooks around here were bad at their 4-700 "dealer fee".

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
In reality, all of them.
SOme will say, "But, the Licensing fee, Registration Fee sre genuine expenses!"
And, while they mightbe right, so too are the powerbill, Labor costs and as well furniture and assundry items.

I buy a pair of pants, I do not pay a seperate fee for everything involved in the gathering of cotton, hiring of labor to pick procces or transoiport as a seperate cost, ioon top of and in addition to the price of the pants themselves.

Psst, so now, all of those are costs that the dealer is simply trying to pass on, in order to increase his profits.
Everything is negotiable, up to and incluging sleeping with the Dealer PRnciple wife, daughters or even his MOther, just a matter o how much.

Reactions: One Cheap Ram

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at new 2020 Big Horn. The sales guy sent me a breakdown of the fees. I know the dealers try to improve their bottom line by adding certain fees. Which of these fees would you say the dealer added to improve their profit, thereby giving me some negotiating room?

Doc Fee 85
Lic Fee 383
reg Fee 251
esf Fee 28
Tire Fee 8.75
dmv file 30
Lojack 795
Dent 895 (I am told this will cover any dents up to the size of a credit card with 0 deductible)
theft reg 189
weight fee 154

Thanks!

They forgot to add a fee for the Air in the tires.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Nitrogen in tires is the current scam on those. "Better fuel efficiency". As long as tires are inflated to proper amount it dont matter which one is in there.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Nitrogen in tires is the current scam on those. "Better fuel efficiency". As long as tires are inflated to proper amount it dont matter which one is in there.

Actually, Nitrogen is better for use in tires due to the properties of the gas versus Air.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well yes for a couple reasons, but for street/common man use its kind of a gimmick. Yes it is better than air as in the molicules are larger (not so we would know) but they dont "leak thru" the rubber as much. Also it is "dry" and the pressure dont fluctuate and heat up due to lack of moisture. Thats why race crews use it. It is more predictable in pressure gain due to lack of moisture. Thats all great until a nit wit puts plain ole copressed air in and the advantage is done.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you live in extreme temperature climate, Nitrogen is not worth the hassle because it still needs change in tire pressure over the calendar year. It just makes it a little less often is all. IMO, it's a marketing scam. Who keeps tanks of nitrogen in their garage compared to an air compressor?

Anyway, here in MN, Registration Fee is in the mid-$400 range, so if you're in a high tax state, that's what you get. Recording Fees should be in the $30-$60 range. Your dealer seems pretty scammy, according to that list. They also like to push you for add-ons like paint sealant, rust proofing, extended warranty. All are scams except for extended warranty - which is now needed due to the complexity of these vehicles.

Important point - you do not have to buy the marked-up extended warranty from your dealer. You can buy from Chrysler Direct (a member of this Forum, btw), or any aftermarket seller. I went with Chrysler Warranty Direct, as do a lot of guys here.

·
Registered
‘17 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x2 5.7 Hemi
19 Posts
They forgot to add a fee for the Air in the tires.
I was just thinking the same thing. They tried to charge me the same thing. All they did was put green valve covers on all 4 wheels. Lol. Noticed I said they tried! Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts

Doc Fee 85
Lic Fee 383
reg Fee 251
esf Fee 28
Tire Fee 8.75
dmv file 30
Lojack 795
theft reg 189
weight fee 154

Thanks!
Run as fast as you can from that dealership....they are frauds charging those fees!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
These Add Ons or Prelaods as they call them are one of my pet peeves of car buying. I seek out the few dealerships that don't engage in this kind of rip off. Which is why I go from Tucson to Phoenix to buy my vehicles. There are two dealers I know of who don't preload much if anything. Around here they preload window tint (that's actually almost a necessity in this extreme Sun and heat here but you can negotiate on the price. Material and labor would cost them about $70 not the $500 they want), window etching, ignition disabling devices, GPS locators, pinstripes, side steps, floor mats, the ridiculous nitrogen in the tires, and they have a new one of adding some kind of small tube of chemical that's supposed to make your A/C work better, and my personal favorite the "desert protection package" which is basically a $1000 car wash and if you're lucky a wax job. All in all they try to get anywhere from $2,000 to $4000 extra for basically nothing that cost them peanuts. As far as your list, the only legit charges are a minor doc fee, tax and registration. Like I said, I find dealers who only put on tint then talk them down on price. The rare times I've had to buy from a dealer who preloads a lot, I make them understand up front I will not pay for any of it and I also absolutely will not buy a vehicle that has been, what I call, "pre-butchered" with any aftermarket crap that had to be spliced into the factory wiring (got stranded once because of that). Unfortunately, many people still fall for all this stuff and actually walk away from the dealership thinking they got something extra. Those folks more than make up for the few who refuse their junk. Until that equation turns around, the dealerships will keep finding more and more snake oil to sell for exorbitant prices.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Doc Fee 85
Lic Fee 383
reg Fee 251
esf Fee 28
Tire Fee 8.75
dmv file 30
Lojack 795
theft reg 189
weight fee 154

Thanks!
You forgot PREP FEE ! I would say the worst posted is the Tire Fee !

·
Registered
19 Posts
These Add Ons or Prelaods as they call them are one of my pet peeves of car buying. I seek out the few dealerships that don't engage in this kind of rip off. Which is why I go from Tucson to Phoenix to buy my vehicles. There are two dealers I know of who don't preload much if anything. Around here they preload window tint (that's actually almost a necessity in this extreme Sun and heat here but you can negotiate on the price. Material and labor would cost them about $70 not the $500 they want), window etching, ignition disabling devices, GPS locators, pinstripes, side steops, floor mats, the ridiculous nitrogen in the tires, and they have a new one of adding some kind of small tube of chemical that's supposed to make your A/C work better, and my personal favorite the "desert protection package" which is basically a $1000 car wash and if you're lucky a wax job. All in all they try to get anywhere from $2,000 to $4000 extra for basically nothing that cost them peanuts. As far as your list, the only legit charges are a minor doc fee, tax and registration. Like I said, I find dealers who only put on tint then talk them down on price. The rare times I've had to buy from a dealer who preloads a lot, I make them understand up front I will not pay for any of it and I also absolutely will not buy a vehicle that has been, what I call, "pre-butchered" with any aftermarket crap that had to be spliced into the factory wiring (got stranded once because of that). Unfortunately, many people still fall for all this stuff and actually walk away from the dealership thinking they got something extra. Those folks more than make up for the few who refuse their junk. Until that equation turns around, the dealerships will keep finding more and more snake oil to sell for exorbitant prices.
I’m like you. I buy my trucks from BI’ll Luke in Phoenix. They seem to be somewhat on the up and up on fees. They throw in the dash mat and a few other items. Window tint can be done anywhere for 50-75 bucks for the whole truck at some loval car wash places. Same tint but not the same price. Lol. Another fee I like to see the dealers try is to charge you for those cheap mudflaps that has their dealership name on them. Kinda find it odd that they charge the us the customer to advertise for them at our expense. Such a deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would run, not walk, away from this dealer! About $3k in fees and tac-ons??!! You can contact your local dmv and find out what’s required when you purchase a new vehicle and then tell the dealer those are the only fees you’ll pay for, otherwise no deal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’m like you. I buy my trucks from BI’ll Luke in Phoenix. They seem to be somewhat on the up and up on fees. They throw in the dash mat and a few other items. Window tint can be done anywhere for 50-75 bucks for the whole truck at some loval car wash places. Same tint but not the same price. Lol. Another fee I like to see the dealers try is to charge you for those cheap mudflaps that has their dealership name on them. Kinda find it odd that they charge the us the customer to advertise for them at our expense. Such a deal.
Does Bill Luke still pre-butcher their vehicles? The last time I was in there I called and asked if they added any ignition disabling devices or alarms (on vehicles that already come with alarms, hilarious) and the salesman said no. So I drove up from Tucson, walked into the showroom, looked at a vehicle and immediately saw the stupid blinking light drilled into the bottom of the dash. Yep, pre-butchered. Guy outright lied to me. So I left and never went back. I've bought from Airpark a few times, they only put tint on, and Tempe advertises no add ons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does Bill Luke still pre-butcher their vehicles? The last time I was in there I called and asked if they added any ignition disabling devices or alarms (on vehicles that already come with alarms, hilarious) and the salesman said no. So I drove up from Tucson, walked into the showroom, looked at a vehicle and immediately saw the stupid blinking light drilled into the bottom of the dash. Yep, pre-butchered. Guy outright lied to me. So I left and never went back. I've bought from Airpark a few times, they only put tint on, and Tempe advertises no add ons.
I have seen a few of those dealership lot alarms but they’ve never made me buy one. I was told it was for the dealerships knowing where the vehicle is. Kinda a tracker if you will.

sorry to the original poster about getting off track. Those fees you listed are pretty bogus indeed. I also agree with whomever it was to buy your extended warranty separate from the whole deal. Finance dept makes big bucks off you if you buy from the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have seen a few of those dealership lot alarms but they’ve never made me buy one. I was told it was for the dealerships knowing where the vehicle is. Kinda a tracker if you will.

sorry to the original poster about getting off track. Those fees you listed are pretty bogus indeed. I also agree with whomever it was to buy your extended warranty separate from the whole deal. Finance dept makes big bucks off you if you buy from the dealership.
I just bought a 2020 Eco diesel Rebel from Airpark. No add ons or other BS. I drove from Nevada to get the truck because they offered the best deal with no BS added on. Even had a trade of which they quoted me a fantastic price site unseen. Will have no problem buying all my vehicles from them. The only beef I had was they would not fill up my DEF tank past the halfway mark. They did give me a full tank of diesel.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Actually, Nitrogen is better for use in tires due to the properties of the gas versus Air.
Atmosphere is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and the rest other gases and water vapor. I'm not sold that increasing the nitrogen to 100% will inflate my tires any better than atmospheric air but it will inflate the dealer's wallet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts