DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which oil filter is best to use when changing the oil? I have read in some threads that fram is not a good product to use due to it slows the oil flow so just wanted to see wht is a certain brand to use..

I have a 2007 5.7 Hemi w/ MDS..

Thankx Mr.Clean

·
Premium Member
32,597 Posts
WIX & Napa, & Carquest are made by WIX, i believe
there are several good companies besides these

I have been using MOPAR oil filters, but they just changed their supplier & i believe that the new company may start using the lowest bidders filter to put in the Mopar labeled outer shell, but that is just my thing
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/86496/mopar_magneti_marelli_and_shell_lubricants_team_up_to_offer_comprehensive_service_parts_and_oil_for_competitive_makes.aspx

I won't use any filter made by Honeywell, Fram is made by them

this is a website that was last updated in 2008 & they say that it is NOT to be taken as gospel
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/

another well known source
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php

·
Registered
542 Posts
K&N part # 2004 Valvoline Synpower

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
welcome to the forum...glad to have ya aboard!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use a Fram tough guard filter on my turck

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mobil 1 filter since it is always discounted when I buy the Mobil 1 oil.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
napa gold :smileup: 09 Ram & 06 R/T.....Mobil 1

·
Registered
10 Posts
I either run the WIX or AMSOIL EAO...Kinda partial to them since I am an AMSOIL dealer lol. But def the best quality I have found to date.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cant go wrong with a Mobil 1 filter, especially when its free with the purchase of Mobil 1 oil when they are on special at Autozone.

You should be okay with any filter available at any parts store that is not bargain bin or Fram. Personally I would use Wix (or any variant), Bosch or Purolator if Mobil 1 wasnt on sale. I say that because on principal I refuse to pay over $8 for an oil filter. As stated before check out the oil filter section at www.bobistheoilguy.com. Also check out the rest of the site, very good info their on all things lubrication related.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just my two cents but if you use AMSOIL and you want them to warantee it. If your truck has the multiport displacement(4cylinders shut down at highway speed) you HAVE to use the 5w-20. The only one that amsoil has is the 5W-20 XL. They have just up'ed it to 10,000 miles instead of the 7,500.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While we're on the subject of oil filters, don't pay attention to the Mopar filter number in the owner's manual if that's the brand you use. I have bought the wrong filter twice (yes, twice:4-dontknow:) based on that number, so buy Mopar filters based on the size of the mounting hole, not the part number in the manual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts