DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I need some advice here. I recently purchased a 2003 ram 1500 with a 5.7. I bought it to pull a 29 ft camper trailer. The truck is not my daily driver because I couldn't afford the gas to keep it going:) I was thinking about getting a programmer mainly for towing the trailer and possibly a little better mileage. Does anyone have any recommendations on the Superchips or Predator programmers. Also if anyone has a line on a used one let me know that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hello welcome to the site. My name is Andrew. I would recommend the Diablosport Predator. The reason for that is you can custom tune that programmer for everything that you have, or will be putting on your truck were as the Superchips Cortex, you can't custom tune. What i mean by custom tuning is, if you have a cold air intake, throttle body, exhaust, cams, etc. You can custom tune that programmer to accommodate for that truck and programmer. You get more out of the tuner, plus the upgrades that way. I would look into that programmer. I have a Diablosport Trinity which is the step up from the Predator because i do alot of heavy pulling with my truck. The Trinity is almost the same as the Predator, but its considered a dash mount programmer which shows RPM's, MPH, along with gauges need for pulling. The Trinity is not offered for your year truck, so i would stay with the Predator. Thanks, and let me know if you need anything else.

Andrew. H

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Welcome to the Z. Between the two, you won't see much difference if you're mostly running a stock truck (CAI and exhaust). Both are great tuners and offer the same tunability, until you want to start looking at more in-depth modifications like cam, head, etc. I don't know of anyone on here selling either, but our supporting vendor RDP has one of the best deals you'll find on the predator.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
x2 what everyone said stock truck run the superchip or sct. not stock run the dsp or the diablo

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
the superchips flashpaq 3715, 3815 an 3865 will work on 03's...and like the others have said, with light mods, this would suffice (superchips tends to have better tranny control then the others)...the only problem is that you have an 03 which has the most restrictive pcm for all the hemi years..options available on 05's aren't available for 03's (in terms of programmable options on the tuners)...I would consider the dsp if your gonna do a cam upgrade...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Dont be bashing DSPTYWCADET! hahaha

I think the Superchips would be a good choice with your situation. If you are going to do more stuff down the road then the Predator would be good!

I would recommend getting a CAI, headers and exhaust if you want to tow. That will let your Hemi breath a whole lot better! I do not know if that is in your budget but that would give you some serious helping power, hp and torque wise

E

·
0 Posts
What he ^^^^ said!

Is there a Predator for the 2003 HEMI? Well, I'll be danged...there is...U7137.

I prefer the Predator because of the standard tuning options, custom tune storage and options for more tunes if you do a cam or other internal engine upgrades.

I've used the SuperChips units before and they worked well but I believe the only upgrades you can get are through their website. I don't know for sure if you can load custom tunes to them.

Also, Diablosport has authorized CMR tuners who have been trained to use their software. I have a CMR tune on my SRT (man, what a difference over the standard Predator tune) and will be doing the same thing to the RAM eventually.

In any event, a programmer with a cold air intake and exhaust will really add some power to your RAM. And there is some efficiency gains as well. It will run cooler, it won't knock and it will make better use of the available fuel.

The only problem is with the increased power, you may see a drop in mileage as...the power is addictive and you'll find your right foot getting heavier and heavier. ;)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
POWER POWER POWER f gas i know but I love THE TORQUE!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts