DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for kicks.
My buddy owns a 2012 ram 1500 4x4 hemi ST with 392 gears and the 6 speed.
I just bought a 2016 ram 1500 4x4 hemi express with 321 gears and 8 speed. (I freakin love it)
Both are quad cab. Both are bone stock.
Both very awesome trucks.
Which truck would win in a drag race?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Without knowing if either one has the anti-spin rear diff. or not, I would probably put my bet on the 8-speed truck. The anti-spin could give one an advantage over the other though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Assuming both have the same type of diff, I'd say it's a driver's race. Not enough differences there to call it based on vehicles. This seems to be about bragging rights, so why not settle it for real at your local track (weather permitting)?

·
Registered
461 Posts
The 8sp. The so called "6sp" is just the old RFE. That 6th gear is just the same weak 2 prime that only gets used on kickdown and manual shifting. The ZF has one helluva first & second gear, 3.21's are plenty for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They both have the anti-spin rear diff.
Yes for bragging rights.
We're both just goofing around but I thought it would make an interesting post.
Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
The 8sp. The so called "6sp" is just the old RFE. That 6th gear is just the same weak 2 prime that only gets used on kickdown and manual shifting. The ZF has one helluva first & second gear, 3.21's are plenty for it.
It's doubtful it would even get into 4th gear in a 1/4 mile drag race, let alone 6th. An 8 speed transmission is generally not a good transmission for a drag race. More shifting slows you down. Which is why the GM 2-speed power-glide was (and still is) one of the best transmissions for that type of racing.
They both have the anti-spin rear diff.
Yes for bragging rights.
We're both just goofing around but I thought it would make an interesting post.
Thanks
In that case I double down on what I said about it being a driver's race. He who gets the hole-shot will likely win that one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's doubtful it would even get into 4th gear in a 1/4 mile drag race, let alone 6th. An 8 speed transmission is generally not a good transmission for a drag race. More shifting slows you down. Which is why the GM 2-speed power-glide was (and still is) one of the best transmissions for that type of racing.
Maybe, maybe not, but most the fastest 4th gen Rams (that aren't turned into all out drag trucks) are running 8HP70's. The close gear spacing keeps it nicely in the powerband. Huge difference from the RFE. Without use of that extra gear, the RFE is literally a 3sp auto with 2 OD gears. Takes time to recover from that kind of rpm drop. The ZF is a 6sp auto with 2 OD gears. I've watched 09-13 trucks get dominated at the track by the 14 and newer trucks; only literal difference being in most cases the 8sp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, this will be a fun discussion over a few beers this Christmas Va-Ca.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 8 speed will be faster even with 3.21's. The reason is simple, the 8 speed has a lot better gear ratios so the torque output leverage in each gear is higher, combined that with a trans that can shift a lot faster too and the 6 speed has no chance even with 3.92's.

Reactions: Magnoom

·
Registered
154 Posts

In that case I double down on what I said about it being a driver's race. He who gets the hole-shot will likely win that one.
It's not a driver race, i have a truck with the 6 speed and 3.92's and have another vehicle with the 845RE,which is not a strong as the the 8hp70 in the RAM 1500 Hemi, the ZF8 will outshift the 65RE, and it'll be bound leaps faster than a powerglide forward or reverse lol. is not even a contest even with the truck with 3.21's. 65RE doesn't shift fast and the gear space from 1-2-3 doesn't help it in a drag race.
And what you mean the 8 speed is not good for a drag race
It seems to runs just fine here, Lol

Go all the way to min 4:10 and enjoy a ZF8 shifting, it won't slow you down, new performance transmissions are just to freaking fast to shift slow like the old
POS auto trans did hahaha

Reactions: Magnoom

·
Registered
601 Posts
Since you're ramping this discussion up with your videos, let me clarify...I wasn't talking about pulling a powerglide out of a 65 Malibu in some junkyard. I'm talking about something more along these lines...
Of course your engine needs to be able to rev, and you need the right gearing in order to take advantage of it. But I was just using that as an example.

The most important mod is the driver mod. Since we have no idea about the OP's racing experience, or that of his buddy, how can we honestly predict the winner here? I will concede that, if both drivers have equal ability, the 8 speed should win. I just don't think it's as cut and dry as some of you claim.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Instead of discussing this until the cows come home, without any true winner, why not just go out and do it, then report back your findings.

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,413 Posts
Instead of discussing this until the cows come home, without any true winner, why not just go out and do it, then report back your findings.
That’s not how bench-racing works, a tuned 8 speed is the easiest and one of the most consistent modern transmissions available today. Go to the light, floor it and make adjustments to ensure traction.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
That’s not how bench-racing works, a tuned 8 speed is the easiest and one of the most consistent modern transmissions available today. Go to the light, floor it and make adjustments to ensure traction.
Bench racing, OK, new phrase for me, carry on.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
RTs being equal the 8 speed truck will win. The first two gears in that transmission are lower than the first gear in the 6 speed, it has a lot less parasitic loss, and shift times are faster-not to mention the more evenly spaced gears.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Slight advantage to the 12, 392 vs 321 gears, that also depends on the hp difference. The 12 would DEFFENTLY have an advantage off the line. I have a 69 swinger 340 4spd 323 years, I know if I had 392's it would definitely be quicker, I'd loose top end, but 1/4 mile, no question, just don't spin off the line, that's where someone already said "Driver" will make a difference! I LAUGH with fords "10" speed, listen to a 1/4 mile race, I believe I could only hear it shift 6 put of 10 times, so I don't believe an 8spd will make much difference in a Drag Race!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Slight advantage to the 12, 392 vs 321 gears, that also depends on the hp difference. The 12 would DEFFENTLY have an advantage off the line. I have a 69 swinger 340 4spd 323 years, I know if I had 392's it would definitely be quicker, I'd loose top end, but 1/4 mile, no question, just don't spin off the line, that's where someone already said "Driver" will make a difference! I LAUGH with fords "10" speed, listen to a 1/4 mile race, I believe I could only hear it shift 6 put of 10 times, so I don't believe an 8spd will make much difference in a Drag Race!
Don't automatically assume that without looking at the differences in transmission gear ratio along with rear gear. Your Dart would DEFINITELY be quicker with 3.91's (they didn't make 3.92's for the 8¾ rear) but keep in mind, you're comparing rear gear ratios with the same transmission and it's set of gear ratios.
The 8HP70 has an unholy first gear:
1st - 4.71
2nd - 3.14
3rd - 2.10
4th - 1.67
5th - 1.29
6th - 1.00
7th - 0.84
8th - 0.67

Compared to the 66RFE:
1st - 3.21
2nd - 1.84
3rd - 1.41* (doesn't even get used during normal shifting)
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.816
6th - 0.625

In this scenario, as long as there is traction the ZF w/3.21's will launch harder than 66RFE w/3.92's every time (math doesn't lie lol). It will also stay nicely in the powerband through out the run. The RFE will be struggling to get the revs back up on the 1-2 shift while the ZF still has two more gears before it gets to one that somewhat matches 2nd in the RFE. The available gear spread in the 8sp is how they manage to maintain the tow rating the Ram enjoys as well as it's fuel economy and the acceleration it still provides. As I said before, the fastest Rams that aren't all out drag trucks are running the 8sp. The Demon runs an 8sp. The fastest Scat Pack Chargers & Challengers as well as Hellcats.....use the 8sp. It's not about how many times it shifts through the run or if it even gets through to top gear (in this case, 6th, the 1:1 ratio). It's just that much better at keeping the engine in its powerband with minimal rpm drop. Besides, the 6 shifts you heard are plenty; who uses overdrive in a drag race? ? ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts