DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,742 Posts
Don't automatically assume that without looking at the differences in transmission gear ratio along with rear gear. Your Dart would DEFINITELY be quicker with 3.91's (they didn't make 3.92's for the 8¾ rear) but keep in mind, you're comparing rear gear ratios with the same transmission and it's set of gear ratios.
The 8HP70 has an unholy first gear:
1st - 4.71
2nd - 3.14
3rd - 2.10
4th - 1.67
5th - 1.29
6th - 1.00
7th - 0.84
8th - 0.67

Compared to the 66RFE:
1st - 3.21
2nd - 1.84
3rd - 1.41* (doesn't even get used during normal shifting)
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.816
6th - 0.625

In this scenario, as long as there is traction the ZF w/3.21's will launch harder than 66RFE w/3.92's every time (math doesn't lie lol). It will also stay nicely in the powerband through out the run. The RFE will be struggling to get the revs back up on the 1-2 shift while the ZF still has two more gears before it gets to one that somewhat matches 2nd in the RFE. The available gear spread in the 8sp is how they manage to maintain the tow rating the Ram enjoys as well as it's fuel economy and the acceleration it still provides. As I said before, the fastest Rams that aren't all out drag trucks are running the 8sp. The Demon runs an 8sp. The fastest Scat Pack Chargers & Challengers as well as Hellcats.....use the 8sp. It's not about how many times it shifts through the run or if it even gets through to top gear (in this case, 6th, the 1:1 ratio). It's just that much better at keeping the engine in its powerband with minimal rpm drop. Besides, the 6 shifts you heard are plenty; who uses overdrive in a drag race? ? ?
This is correct, transmission gearing plays a part in the final drive ratio, not just differential gearing. If you use ERS to lock out 2nd, 3rd, etc... until you are at the RPM you want to shift at you can keep it in the powerband you want

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have actual track time on my 2019 Classic Hemi with 3.21 open rear. With me in the seat she ways in just under 6000. My best time (1st time running anything on the strip) was 15.063 at 93mph in the 1/4, on stock everything. Only mod was rear air pressure 28 drivers 23 passenger. But I have since found that as long as each wheel is getting the same amount of traction they they will both spin or both hook. I always thought an open rear meant 1 wheel peel. But have since proven as well as read and understood, that due to your 4 link rear we do not get the leaf spring wrap that cause traction loss to the passenger side with a leaf spring rear suspension. Therefore with enough power and torque, and both tires having the same amount of traction, that both tires can be broke loose and will leave acceleration marks similar to a limited / locked rear end. To boot I get tires breaking loose in multiple gears even after traction control stops the tires spinning in one gear, the shift is so quick and firm that it breaks loose in the next gear. Done this thru 3rd gear at least. This is one of the most powerful vehicles I have ever owned across the board. The Hemi is good but the ZF-8 makes it great.

I can also say from actually having done it that the engine stays on power the whole time down the track. You never feel the sensation of power loss, and it will run the gears thru 4th if not 5th do to the short throws. As I stated this was my 1st time on the track. I would not want to try and chase the gears manually with the acceleration rate and close gear ratio in the ZF tranny. My expectation is that you would most likely end up holding a gear to long and loosing the peak power or over reving the motor.
It literally comes out of the hole and must be shifting to 2nd by the end of the 60 ft mark, if not before, and that's without any spin at launch.

It sucks when at least one tire blows loose at launch as you have to back pedal to regain traction. The engines power is great enough that even on the track with rubber down it cannot get enough grip without back pedaling. I know I tried on one launch to just hang with it and see if it would re-hook.

·
Registered
12 Posts
EcoBOOM lol...knew three different people with them in F150's...one was constant trans problems, the other two were turbo issues.
Just follow this forum to read about all the problems with Ram! Have a 95 with 277000 on it. Love the old 318...it's bulletproof! The rest of the truck...not so much. Paint, rear end, dashboard, electronics, power seats, transmission, and on and on. I look at 95 Fords, Chevy, GMC...all look better on interior and exterior than my Dodge. Some with more miles! I love the old Mopar engines. What I read about the new engines and my experience with the rest of the truck I will probably never own a Dodge/Ram product again. Went back to Ford and have had good luck with all of them. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe they are better quality. All I know is the dashboard hasn't disintegrated and the paint still sticks to the body. Never had transmission rebuilt and everything on the inside works. And it spins the tires in 4th gear!

·
Banned
516 Posts
Just follow this forum to read about all the problems with Ram! Have a 95 with 277000 on it. Love the old 318...it's bulletproof! The rest of the truck...not so much. Paint, rear end, dashboard, electronics, power seats, transmission, and on and on. I look at 95 Fords, Chevy, GMC...all look better on interior and exterior than my Dodge. Some with more miles! I love the old Mopar engines. What I read about the new engines and my experience with the rest of the truck I will probably never own a Dodge/Ram product again. Went back to Ford and have had good luck with all of them. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe they are better quality. All I know is the dashboard hasn't disintegrated and the paint still sticks to the body. Never had transmission rebuilt and everything on the inside works. And it spins the tires in 4th gear!
Ok....so you were looking for an opportunity to bitch and decided this was it? No one cares; you're on a Ram forum in a performance thread lol. I've had the same truck for going on 15yrs; I'll never get rid of it. If your experience was better elsewhere, more power to you. ??

·
Super Moderator
34,742 Posts
All I know is that my timing assembly hasn't failed and sent a valve into any of my pistons, and I don't have to remove the fuel rails to change the spark plugs on my Hemi. What's more is my dad's 10 year old Ram dash hasn't cracked after living its entire life in South Texas and Arizona.

Buying again today, I'd choose another Ram.

Y'know...while we're at it

Reactions: Magnoom

·
Registered
120 Posts
You've been lucky......The tranys '05 and newer have the snap ring groove cut in to the from drive drum. The higher fluid pressures over time cause the drum to fracture and fail. The only fix is an aftermarket trany designed with a better drum and snap ring. There is also the phasers issue, which is really a result of poor oil pressure at higher RPM.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My last Ram was a 4X4 2005 Thunder Road edition, dyno tuned, with a hot Inertia cam, 3,000 rpm stall converter,headers with dumps, Vararam, Borla duals and a 100 hp shot of nitrous. It was fast,low 12's. Ran it NEDW, Englishtown and at my local track, Winterport Dragway. When I traded it in on my 2017 Ecodiesel, it had just under 300,000 miles. Only things that failed: at 275,000 mi a fuel pump and before that aan idler pully failed as I drove in my driveway. Ram dealer gave me $10,500 trade and took $7,000 off the new Ram. Truck looked and drove like new when I traded her, new owner paid the dealer $10,500 the same day! New owner's other vehicle is a Hellcat, Ram is his daily driver.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts