DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have am 04 Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.7l hemi, 61k miles. It started to days ago. My truck started making a whirring noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I notice it at lower mph when it is not drowned out by engine noise. I can hear it during acceleration and deceleration. It is louder when I accelerate and then quiets and lowers in pitch as I decelerate. It does not get louder when I turn so I dont think it is an axle bearing. I am unsure if this is a pinion bearing, carrier bearing, maybe a race or LSD clip popped out. I dont know. Is there any way to diagnose a diff problem without digging into it? Also when this started we had a temp drop to -50 below zero. Could this be a cold related issue? Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
needs pinion brgs. carrier brgs dont change under load. Pinion bearings are load sensitive. Have the rear end rebuilt, but new bearings, pinion seal, crush sleeve. I would make sure its full of fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just changed the diff fluid which did not help. Eliminated the u joint as a problem. The common thought across three different dodge forums seems to be the pinion bearing going out. thanks for the help

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like pinion bearings. I would just do the whole diff rebuild, new carrier bearings, pinion bearings, and crush sleeve, you can get a kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i dont know if you figured it out yet, but i just had this problem and what it ended up being is the spider gears lockin up on the carrier lock shaft. and i would recommend getting it looked at asap. i ended up having to replace the carrier and ring n pinion cause i left it too long and it chewed up the pinion gears

·
Registered
295 Posts
i had the exact same symptoms on my 2006 dodge ram 5.7 with lsd rearend. you could be low on diff fluid but in the end and around 55,000 miles on my truck my rearend locked up and i then had to have the rearend replaced with a jasper one of same gearing. that rebuilt one gave me problems and as of today i am getting a 2nd rearend replaced in my truck within 6 months of 1st replacement of rearend . good luck

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
i just rebuilt my rearend last weekend after 213k miles...my carrier bearings were chewed up, plus, the real reason i swapped them i could hear and feel chunks of metal flying around back there...luckily it never seized...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does the noise happen during deceleration? I've found on a few diffs that the pinion yolk flange nut has worked loose, that involves disconnecting the drive line at the rear diff and twisting the yolk flange and if the flange moves in and out chances are the pinion flange nut has loosened. you can torque it down and apply some loc-tite and install the drive line and take it for a test drive. If that doesn't solve the problem then it's time to tear out the diff and go from there, hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts