DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a whirring sound when my truck is idling and when I accelerate. When I accelerate the sound increases in volume. I initially removed the serpentine belt and the sound completely disappears. I used a long handled screwdriver to help identify where it the noise was coming from and it sounded like it was coming from the alternator. I drive a dirt road almost everyday, so I figured that the bearings may have worn down prematurely. I replaced the alternator today and the noise is still there, although it is not as pronounced. What's the next step in troubleshooting this? The noise is driving me crazy :att:

·
Registered
953 Posts
maybe the power steering pump, my guess. does the whirring sound change pitch if you turn the steering wheel a little bit each direction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

It was the idler pulley. I checked the bearings in the old once I removed it and it had a bunch of dirt in it from driving a dirt road to work for 3yrs. I'm assuming the same occurred in the alternator I pulled out. My truck is quiet as a mouse now. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts