DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 2011 Crew Cab Hemi and I'm not pleased with all the noises I'm hearing. At 120kph or slower on a windy day I get a loud hollow sounding whistle that sounds like it's coming from the driver side, side view mirror. I've tried taping all seems from the headlights back. I've pulled the mirror in tight to the cab but the whistle still persists. Very annoying

2nd noise is a grinding sound that comes at about 70-80kph when maintaining speed in high gear. Seems to come from mid truck and occurs more readily if going up slight incline or towing my boat. I've had a friend suggest the heat shield over the exhust might be slightly loose which makes noise at a certain resonance.

Anyone have a suggestion or similar problem? I'm taking it to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The whistling I have encountered and just put it out of my mind as a design flaw. ( getting a louder muffler helps too!!) The "grinding" on the other hand I cant see being a heat shield, might want that checked by your dealer fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read some other similar posts and as a result I've found the source of the whistling. When I push out on the door frame near the top front corner, the whistling goes away. I've read about 2 solutions, bending the door or replacing the door seal. Replacing the door seal seems to be the obvious thing to try first. We'll see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey,
The whistle does have a " TSB" out at the dealership I believe. They will insert foam behind the weatherstripping for a tighter fit. Supposedly this will fix it, my hasn't whistled for me yet but I'll be listening. The grinding could be low rear diff fluid level from the factory. Just read about on another forum. I would have them check the center and front diffs while they are in there locking. You'll definitely want that on your service record at the dealer ASAP. Don't except the noise, if they can't fix it within four tries, lol 2 to many in my opinion, then you may request a buy back under the lemon law. Good luck and post what the dealer does for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE
I got impatient yesterday and decided to fix the window wind whistle myself..and it actually worked.
I put the window all the way down, opened the door slightly and while sitting on the drivers seat (facing out the door) I braced my feet on both ends of the door (bottom corners of the window opening) grabed the top of the door where the noise was coming from and gave a couple quick pulls. If you step of the truck and shut the door you'll notice the door fits more tightly than it did previously.
I tested it up to 145kph on a very windy day and didn't hear a whisper.
Problem solved!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
UPDATE
I got impatient yesterday and decided to fix the window wind whistle myself..and it actually worked.
I put the window all the way down, opened the door slightly and while sitting on the drivers seat (facing out the door) I braced my feet on both ends of the door (bottom corners of the window opening) grabed the top of the door where the noise was coming from and gave a couple quick pulls. If you step of the truck and shut the door you'll notice the door fits more tightly than it did previously.
I tested it up to 145kph on a very windy day and didn't hear a whisper.
Problem solved!
So you "bent" the door instead of going to the dealer and having them tape some foam? Oh boy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you "bent" the door instead of going to the dealer and having them tape some foam? Oh boy.

"bent" sounds harsh. The top of the door may have moved in 1mm and the door actually appears to be more flush with the cab now. Whistle is gone and it didn't leak last night in the rain.
Now, if only I knew what to "bend" to fix the grinding sound.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe I hear the same noise from my truck, although I would describe it more as a low frequency howl rather than a grinding noise. It happens under load in high gear at around 40-50 mph. At first I too thought it may be something a little loose that's resonating at a certain frequency, such as the low rpm, but now I think its the TC because if I give it gas and the TC unlocks the noise disappears. I haven't brought it back to the dealer because its seems like one of those things that can only be heard under certain circumstances, and I haven't got the time for multiple trips back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe I hear the same noise from my truck, although I would describe it more as a low frequency howl rather than a grinding noise. It happens under load in high gear at around 40-50 mph. At first I too thought it may be something a little loose that's resonating at a certain frequency, such as the low rpm, but now I think its the TC because if I give it gas and the TC unlocks the noise disappears. I haven't brought it back to the dealer because its seems like one of those things that can only be heard under certain circumstances, and I haven't got the time for multiple trips back.
Yeah similar to mine. The sound tends to come when in a high gear in a heavy load situation, just before the trany is about to gear down.
I'm booked into the dealer wednesday of next week. I'll let you know what they find/don't find.

·
Banned
39 Posts
I too have the low grinding/rumbling noise coming from mid to rear drive train. its a 4x4 and it has been doing it since 2,000 miles. Took it to the dealership with a creeking sound coming from the dash near the driver left leg. Of course the dealership (Manassas Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram) couldn't find anything. the sound didn't happen for them. It kind of worries me as I am getting ready to tow 7500lbs and don't want to blow out anything but I guess if its going to break it might as well break under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts