DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it only happens occasianally(sp?) but i sometimes get this faint whistling noise. first time it happened I immediately turned off the radio to get a better idea where it was coming from and it went away.
Anyone else run into anything like this?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fyi gentlemen not sure if you have the hard drive in your radio or not; depends on the radio. But, I have a noise that comes from my radio, and goes off after a few moments the radio goes off, and I could describe it as a whistling noise. I also know what the particular noise that I am hearing is - it's the hard drive read head spinning on the hard drive platter reading data. Once the read head touches down and stops, noise goes away. If you don't have a radio with a hard drive, then obviously this wouldn't be the case though....

As a follow-up... I also see you guys have the Laramie. It's likely you have the 710 RER or whatever touch screen radio it is that is standard on the Laramie's. I'll bet $100 it's the hard drives...

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Do any of you have the factory install amps? Or even an after market amp?

If you do, if sound a lot like a "ground loop", or "alternator whine" both of which are associated with either a bad ground or a loose ground (which is also bad). With the factory amps it could be something as simple as a loose connection.

If it were me, I'd bring it in, especially if it's easily duplicated. Most of the problems I've encountered over the years I've made sure that whatever tech is checking it out can hear it for himself, even if I've got to ride around with him for an hour to make sure.

good luck, and let us know what you discover the problem to be

Exco

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the inputs. I do have the hard drive, hadn't thought of that one, but it comes and goes when listening to sirrius. Wouldn't think that could be the hard drive. I do have the factory amp installed, wich would lead back to the thinking that its a bad ground. As for bluetooth, I always have my phone connected so I will have to try turning it off, and see if that has any effect.

Right now my plan is to wait for the spring showers to slow up a bit so i can ride the bike to work, and then take it to the dealer to have it looked at. I'll let everyone know when I find something out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I also have the premiums sound with sub/amp and I do know what noise Exco is referring to. The noise I hear in my truck is definitely not a group loop or amp whine though, it's undoubtedly the hard drive. Sounds like we have two different noises here! Good luck though!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts