DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen.
Newbie here. Great Forum.I need some help.
I have an 06 Ram Hemi Quad Sport 4x4 with 86K on it. Bone Stock. Watched a friend start it up the other day and I had white smoke come out of the tailpipe!!! P O ed..
A little background: I have had Royal Purple in it almost since day one. Pretty good on change intervals. Just changed Tranny Fluid at 80k (should have been 65K). At about 80k I had a blocked radiator and it started to get hot. While the needle climbed high two times it never reached the red without my shutting it off before I had the problem remedied. Been fine since. At the next oil change I allowed someone to talk me into tryin Mobile 1 instead (yes 5w20 all the time). Since then I have noticed that it has lost some of its pep. Not huge but doesnt have that ... 'snap'. I just thought it was the diff oil. Now I am wondering if I have some worn out valve seats(already?) or worse blown head gasket, or worse yet cracked heads (would explain the performance loss). As I understand it I am also due for new plugs now right? I am so upside down in this truck I am married to it. So I plan on putting 300k on it and then giving to my great great grandsons illegitimate child. My plans are to start modding it, and prob take it to KRC Performace in Melbourne FL to do most the work. But right now I want to know that the engine is rock solid and I am not sure really how to go about it 'efficiently'.
I have read a lot of things about PCV valves and some modulator in the tranny that can cause the white smoke issues. I dont know where to start and I have not found a mechanic that I trust yet. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Your transmission is fully electronic and doesn't have a vacuum modulator so you can rule that out. Is the smoke you're seeing just a puff at start up or does it continue for a specific period of time. If you suspect it's oil related, go back to the Royal Purple and see what happens. Check your owners manual for the service interval on the spark plugs. Worn out valve seals are pretty unlikely and if you had a blown head gasket, you'd likely see a lot of smoke from the pipe and you'd have a check engine light with O2 sensor and misfire codes. If you want to be sure, a chemical test of the cooling system will reveal any combustion gasses leaking into the system. If there are any present, a leak down test can then pinpoint the source of the leak.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Well I think Remerson gave a pretty good explanation. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum!

Best of luck fixing the truck!!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is your coolant staying at the fill level or do you have to keep adding every so often? Do you by chance hear any gurgling when taking off? My previous vehicle had white smoke from cold starts and I kept having to add coolant every few weeks. I replaced both heads and the headgaskets and the problem was fixed. When your radiator was blocked and it got hot, you may have cracked one or both of the heads. Then again, you could have a blown headgasket like you said or even worn valve seats. I would get a compression test done and see where the numbers are at and where they should be. Definantly talk to a reputable mechanic that is knowledgable with Dodges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts