DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've owned white trucks (is there any other colour?? :smileup:) I've had issues with small orange rust spots showing up on the paint...all over the vehicle. I'm sure it's there on all vehicles regardless of colour...it's just that it really shows up big time on white :smiledown:

I've heard everything from rail dust to environmental fallout as the culprit. Personally I think it's got something to do with all the salt, sand & chemicals used on our roads in the winter up here in the north. Reason being it seems the rust spots only rear their ugly little heads in the winter time. They're mostly concentrated on the sides (more toward the rear) and tailgate, but find them all over...even non metal surfaces such as bumpers, fiberglass tonneau cover, etc.

With some "elbow grease" & scrubbing they do come off but it's a real PITA :smiledown:. Early this winter, I figured I'd try some preventative maintenance...I had the truck professionally buffed completely & waxed. Much to my despair, 2 weeks later and the rust spots were back :158: all over.

Now what? :4-dontknow: As mentioned, I've dealt with this for years (7 or 8 white trucks plus numerous white cars) but have really just about had enough of the continuous scrubbing. Not quite ready to give up on the white colour either though. I can't imagine I'm the only one here...anyone experience this as well with a solution?

Thx! john

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ever since I've owned white trucks (is there any other colour?? :smileup:) I've had issues with small orange rust spots showing up on the paint...all over the vehicle. I'm sure it's there on all vehicles regardless of colour...it's just that it really shows up big time on white :smiledown:

I've heard everything from rail dust to environmental fallout as the culprit. Personally I think it's got something to do with all the salt, sand & chemicals used on our roads in the winter up here in the north. Reason being it seems the rust spots only rear their ugly little heads in the winter time. They're mostly concentrated on the sides (more toward the rear) and tailgate, but find them all over...even non metal surfaces such as bumpers, fiberglass tonneau cover, etc.

With some "elbow grease" & scrubbing they do come off but it's a real PITA :smiledown:. Early this winter, I figured I'd try some preventative maintenance...I had the truck professionally buffed completely & waxed. Much to my despair, 2 weeks later and the rust spots were back :158: all over.

Now what? :4-dontknow: As mentioned, I've dealt with this for years (7 or 8 white trucks plus numerous white cars) but have really just about had enough of the continuous scrubbing. Not quite ready to give up on the white colour either though. I can't imagine I'm the only one here...anyone experience this as well with a solution?

Thx! john
You are not alone...! First time I noticed this was on a white 2003 Honda Pilot. Same situation as you.... more rust spots towards the back especially around the back bumper/tailgate area. They are a pain to get off! Sometimes I have to take my finger and almost pick/scratch them off. I also assume other colors have it to..? Although, I have wondered if there is more trace metals in white paint?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
my 06 was white and had the same thing. it always bothered me too. my solution was to trade it for a red truck. im sure the same spots are there on every color but they just dont stand out on them like they do on white.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If your truck is well waxed, the surface not pitted. The problem is surface contaminants...probably just the chemicals adhering to the protected paint. The answer. Clay the whole truck. I do this every spring. It should take no more than an hour.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
hmmm I've never noticed this issue on my white truck, had it for over a year now. Always sits out in the FL sun, only gets washed a few times a year, and one wax a year maybe...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had the same problem along with others. The clay bar works also there is some spray to put on that cleans it off that the G/F's dad told me about. As far as what caues it, at first I thought it was the metallic fleck in the paint but the general consensus is that it's the rail dust from the trains when they get transported. It probably will continue to happen cause, I think, the clay bar only removes the rust stains not the particles of metal.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ya they're not actually rust spots, just contamination on the surface. Clay bar and a good wax is the only way to deal with them. I had a white vehicle years ago and it definitely crossed my mind when I bought this one.

It's not the salt or whatever cuz it happens to us in southern California too

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the same problem along with others. The clay bar works also there is some spray to put on that cleans it off that the G/F's dad told me about. As far as what caues it, at first I thought it was the metallic fleck in the paint but the general consensus is that it's the rail dust from the trains when they get transported. It probably will continue to happen cause, I think, the clay bar only removes the rust stains not the particles of metal.
Yah...if it's not the salt & crud they put on our roads in the winter (funny though as it only seems to really show up in the winter), it must be acid rain or some kind of environmental fall-out. Years ago with my first white truck, I was originally was told it was rail dust. Have also been told it's the metallic flake in the paint...can't be either of these as I installed a fiberglass Leer tonneau cover after the fact and it also has the spots on it. Wasn't on the truck when it was transported on rails & completely different paint than the truck.

Anyway...I guess it's the price we pay for having the best & only colour to have on a vehicle :smileup:

By the way "RamManCan"...do you know what the "spray" is that will clean it up...can you point me in the right direction? Anything to make the job easier would be a help.

Thx! john

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Clay bar should remove the iron particles that are embedded in the surface. Then wax the truck. The spray you are referring to I believe is Oxalic acid (diluted). As with any corrosive product care must be taken when using it. Clay bar is the safest!

And for all you white vehicle lovers, we have a saying in the collision repair industry... White is right! It usually hides most imperfections...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Call it what you will. I call it rail dust. It comes from small particles of metal on the road and also from our now metallic brake pads. I suspect the brake pads are the bigger culprit. You need to clay bar / wax to get rid of them. Its a fact of life. I have them on my black truck. I clay bar it every spring and wax it spring and fall.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call it what you will. I call it rail dust. It comes from small particles of metal on the road and also from our now metallic brake pads. I suspect the brake pads are the bigger culprit. You need to clay bar / wax to get rid of them. Its a fact of life. I have them on my black truck. I clay bar it every spring and wax it spring and fall.
Thx rtkman! I'd buy the idea it's from the metallic in brake pads before rail dust. Reason again, it's on my fibreglass tonneau cover that was added after I had the truck for a couple of months so it didn't happen during shipping & the paint is obviously different than the factory paint on the truck.

Regardless, I need to deal with it. Excuse my ignorance but I'm not familiar with the "clay bar" procedure. Can you explain?

Thx! john

·
Registered
611 Posts
Clay bar is a material that you rub over the paint (with water or detailing spray as a lubricant) It removes surface contaminants from the paint by shearing it off the surface. It works really well but its a lot of work. I use 3m clay bar because that's what we have at the shop but I hear Meguires has a good product for consumers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clay bar is a material that you rub over the paint (with water or detailing spray as a lubricant) It removes surface contaminants from the paint by shearing it off the surface. It works really well but its a lot of work. I use 3m clay bar because that's what we have at the shop but I hear Meguires has a good product for consumers.
Thx again rtkman...much appreciated! I will look into it & put some "elbow grease" into it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just clayed mine fresh from delivery Monday. When the spots cover the whole truck it's from the train ride. Later when it's all over the back of truck it's from the brakes. Took me about 12 hours to do mine. The truck was plastered with it.

She's shining now.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Wow......
I am a newbie here and just posted this exact same question on a different section of this fine forum....
I thought I was losing my mind....
Lefty 33.... I live in the same part of the world as you and just noticed this today....
here is my thread.....

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109634

By the way..I LOVE my new Dodge

But here is a section of the paint......

Please advise on a good clay bar and/or cleaner

thanks fellers

Jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow......
I am a newbie here and just posted this exact same question on a different section of this fine forum....
I thought I was losing my mind....
Lefty 33.... I live in the same part of the world as you and just noticed this today....
here is my thread.....

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109634

By the way..I LOVE my new Dodge

But here is a section of the paint......

Please advise on a good clay bar and/or cleaner

thanks fellers

Jeff

This will do it for you. Just make sure you keep it wet and kneed your clay as you do it.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl...w=129&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:66

1 - 20 of 35 Posts