Votes: 39 41.1%
  • rarely

Votes: 44 46.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be more and more using the manual mode. The truck seems more responsive and no ECO to deal with. I drive a lot of short runs, no highway miles so to speak. I think I even get better mileage in manual if I don't get on it. I have the automatic on the steering column not the shifter. It's pretty easy and comfortable to use just as long as you remember that your using it.

Reactions: City Slicker

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I only do on very slippery roads.. where i use the engine to do most of my braking.. other than that.. esp off and foot on the floor.

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
I have to go to some places where i would rather not
steep trails, gravel roads that are flooded & starting to wash out
blow sand roads that have been watered down & sometimes have a bit of base material or chipped rock layed over the sand. Then i have to use a light foot & low gears
I have not yet had to use my tow hooks, but, that is why i installed them

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Sometimes, I'll put my truck down in first on the column when I'm off roading. Keeps me in the higher power range of the rpm's and I can let the engine brake itself. Other then that, it gets annoying with the column shifter.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The first thing I do, when driving around town, it push the button to OD OFF, and put the truck in 2nd. I leave it there until I hit 35 to 40 and I leave it in OD OFF mode until I hit the freeway.

That's normal to me. I do the same thing with my SRT, using the paddle shifters and staying in 2nd around town all the time, until about 45....or higher.... ;)

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
i dont use it at all

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first thing I do, when driving around town, it push the button to OD OFF, and put the truck in 2nd. I leave it there until I hit 35 to 40 and I leave it in OD OFF mode until I hit the freeway.

That's normal to me. I do the same thing with my SRT, using the paddle shifters and staying in 2nd around town all the time, until about 45....or higher.... ;)
What button is OD off? Do you mean Tow Mode?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't use mine on purpose...I really hate the location of it and will once in a while bump it by accident. I kinda found it odd...I bought an auto for a reason...if I wanted standard I would have bought a standard. My b/f uses it sometimes...but I like the MDS and I just don't feel the need for it really.

I am with you Paris I don't care for it, and I don't use it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
In hilly areas yes, on the flatter parts not really.
Holding it down a gear going up a hill, or the same going down for more engine braking though, yes I do that.
Around town i never use it.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Have to manually shift if i need to get over 6500rpm.

edit: Last post was back in Jan but this thread was showing under recent posts.

Sorry for bring up a old thread.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I drive my SRT Hauler the same way I drive my SRT. (believe it or not, it can handle those sharp corners at 45 mph with no issues) Autostick in the city, and drive when I'm on the highway or racing.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Played with it a fuew time, but no real use for it!!

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I have to add to this thread because it's very frustrating when you put the thing into manual by mistake, i.e accidentally bumping it. With the stereo on it's only when you see the high revs do you realize, oh s$#@t it's in manual. :SHOCKED: I've already done this too many times, Opps :LOL:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Freightrain; I can say I use it quite a bit myself. Around town, I like being able to keep it out of 5th and 6th when speeds stay 45mph or below. No luggin the motor and yes I agree, I averaged 16.5mpg in town using only 4th all last week. As much as I love hearing the roar of my Hemi when I need it; I like it even more when I see the fuel needle not move to the left as fast as my old 99 5.9 Magnum did. It's nice having the best of both world's in a Ram; A tough ass with plenty of gas!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Holy thread revival batman! Oh well, keeping on topic... I very very rarely use manual mode. Then again I've only had my truck for a week. LOL!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts