DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, while merging on the interstate, I noticed what sounded just like a strong crosswind hitting my truck as I got up to speed (75+). It was a WHOOSH-ing sound coming from the windshield area on the passenger side. Also sounds like the defrost on three (my climate control knob has off, plus four positions), but only toward the passenger side. The sound continued fairly steady the entire 45 minute trip. Upon further inspection, it happens anytime I get much above 60.

I hadn't noticed it before, but I have been driving a lot of different company trucks lately, so maybe I had just got used to the sound of my personal truck (??). My truck overall lets in a lot of road noise even with factory exhaust and stock tires and wheels. Some of the road noise I can tell comes through the floorboard, doors, and side windows, but it SEEMS like the sound coming through my windshield is getting louder.

I have looked around the forum, and others were having problems with their stubby antenna, but I have the factory antenna. Windshield seal is another possibility I have heard tossed around, and I did have my windshield replaced, but it was over two years ago, and I don't remember hearing it then (to be fair, and without trying to sound like I'm walking all over myself and repeating what's already been said, but I did do a lot more interstate driving two years ago, and may have just gotten used to it).

The last piece of info, and I regret putting it up here because I don't want someone to say "THAT'S IT!!", but I do have a set of low profile VentShades on my truck - been on about a year. The sound COULD be coming from the passenger side A-post area, and that would put it in the vicinity of the VentShade, but I don't really hear a noise like that on the driver's side.

There, I've talked enough about my boring, but nonetheless very irritating problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hmmmm, strange. My truck makes a wind/whistle sound that sounds to me as if it is coming from the passenger side A-pillar or maybe even further up the door line. It basically sounds like the door isn't sealing properly. I swapped from the stock antenna to a 13" antenna and noticed no change. I have also "strategically placed" some 3/8" adhesive foam stripping on the inside of the door to supplement the stock weatherstripping but once again, noticed no change. My truck was hit in the passenger side door and had the door reskinned before I bought it so I have always attributed it to that but I cannot say for sure.

My only suggestion to you would be to check that your recirc door is working properly. They are very well known to break and fall down and if that happens, it will let air enter the cowl and flow freely into the cabin through the recirc door which is located on the far passenger side up under the dash above the blower fan. You can take the blower fan out (three screws and a plug) and contort yourself so that you can look in with a flashlight. Also, if you drive down the road in cold weather, your passenger would probably be able to feel cold air coming in on his/her feet if it is the recirc door.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting. I'll have to check the recirc door. In the meantime, I had my girlfriend drive the other night so I could get a better idea where the noise was coming from. It turns out that air is entering the cab through the defog vent and what looks like the hole for tweeters if I had the premium sound package (not sure exactly what the hole is for that I'm calling the tweeter hole, just my best guess. In the diagram below, air comes out of the two "vents" that are on either side of the "6" diagram arrow). With all the air off, defog included, outside air blows in, hits the windshield and deflects and blows right in the passenger's face. Why my girlfriend has never mentioned this, even as I complain about the noise over there is beyond me (women, right? Hahah).

Anyway, my A/C works fine in all vents, heat works fine out of all vents, when you turn the defog on, it blows heat just as it should, when you switch from defog to, say floor vents, the heat stops coming out of defog and comes out of the floor vents, just as it should. The only problem I'm having is that outside air is coming in through the defog vent on the passenger side even with the air off. The faster I go, the more air comes in. It is not tied to acceleration, as it continues once I get up to speed - the speed/quantity of air coming in is tied directly to my speed. If I lower a window, even more air comes in through the vent like it's pulling a draft from outside.

I'll check out the recirc door next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts