DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand why every one is truing off MDS? Are you haveing problems with it? My 06 is about to turn off 100K miles and I'm inlove with my MDS. 21mpg on the highway.

What are the advantages of turning it off? Besides getting bad gas mileage?

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,632 Posts
Well first, welcome to the forum, since I see this is your first post! From what I've read on here as I don't have MDS, a couple of complaints, people bought a V8 because they wanted all 8 cylinders lol, but most folks that have done any modding to their truck, particularly to the exhaust, complain of a "drone" when the MDS kicks in. I'm sure others will be able to give you first hand accounts, and in the meantime, you should stop by the Newbie Checkin and introduce yourself to everyone and get your official Ram Z welcome! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have an 06. I have dual exhaust. there is a drone when the mds kicks in, but to me, it's not that bad. It's one way I can tell the MDS is working. But, I think the intensity of the drone might be different with different mufflers.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Get an aftermarket muffler and you will see why MDS is a PITA.

Reactions: Tommac57

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Welcome to the Z. Its really a sound thing. As I understand it, the drone is worse with flowmasters than other exhausts. Personally, one of the reasons I got my Hemi was the great mpg and plenty of hp when I want it. I'm very happy with my Ram.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
Hello and welcome. Well so far the MDS does not bother me, still running stock exhaust. However from reading various posts I suspect that better mileage can be obtained with a better tune without needing MDS. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
with mds off actually my firends got better gas mileage. I hate mds because of my mods

·
Registered
180 Posts
I turned off my mds and only lost about 1 mpg on the hwy and around the same mpg's in the city. I don't like the pulsing feeling when the mds turns on or off, kinda makes it hard to drive smooth so I just shut it off and drive more conservatively. I have a magnaflow exhaust and the droning is kinda annoying but would not be too bad if it was smooth. I also feel its safer to have the power of all 8 cylinders in case I have to pass or move out of the way, its a heavy truck and 4 cylinders is not enough power plus I live in southern California and people have a hard time driving out here sometimes. I have never been into the mds anyways, not the best way to save gas on a truck in my opinion...just stay off the gas and mpgs won't drop too much.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How the HELL are you getting 21mpg on the expressway with a hemi ram.... Driving like grandma I'm lucky to get 16!

Do tell!

I don't understand why every one is truing off MDS? Are you haveing problems with it? My 06 is about to turn off 100K miles and I'm inlove with my MDS. 21mpg on the highway.

What are the advantages of turning it off? Besides getting bad gas mileage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So its a sound thing when you have aftermarket muffler.

Yes i get 21mpg on the highway all the time i have put 20,000 miles on my turck this year i have been coast to coast and border to border. at 68mph i can get 21mpg I average 16 to 17 mixed driving. At 75mph i drop down to 18 to 19mpg this is alwasy hand calculated.

I do not get any surging and can not tell the mds is on except when towing. If i'm towing my trailer and dont have it set to tow or od off i can tell when its running of 4 cylinders. but when not towing its not noticable.

Been on the forum for a few years just never posted.

thanks for the answers to my question.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I drove from FL to CA and then back to VA this summer and found that 68+/- mph is the sweet spot. Cruise control set to 68 with AC running I could get 19-21 depending on winds and hills. This was when I had my 3.55s. 4.10s have only been in 3 days so no comparisons yet.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
A lot of the guys that take MDS off have exhausts on their trucks. The MDS causes a drone in the exhaust which makes it sound like crap. You can find an exhaust that will work with the MDS and it wont sound like that but most dont have that luxury. I took the MDS off of my truck and I did not notice a loss in MPG but a better sound in the exhaust

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an MBRP cat back system and with MDS its sounds atrocious on the highway when it kicks in. The drone is enough for me to want to go back to stock. Worst mod I ever made. Now I know I can shut it off with a powerchip or Diablo but I should have just stayed stock in the first place and saved the $$.

I should say that any other time without MDS the system sounds good, if not loud but I work 3rd shift and I can't idle my truck in the driveway with the remote start without being an a$$hole to the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I kept my Ram stock underneath except the muffler
i don't hear any drone, that is all that annoying
the MDS kicks out so quickly that you get almost instant response when you put your foot into it, that you don't know that it was in 4 cylinders & just clicked up to 8 cylinders
i'll keep my MDS, thank you very much

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have an MBRP cat back system and with MDS its sounds atrocious on the highway when it kicks in. The drone is enough for me to want to go back to stock. Worst mod I ever made. Now I know I can shut it off with a powerchip or Diablo but I should have just stayed stock in the first place and saved the $$.

I should say that any other time without MDS the system sounds good, if not loud but I work 3rd shift and I can't idle my truck in the driveway with the remote start without being an a$$hole to the neighbors.
many members here have reported that leaving the stock resonators on with an aftermarket muffler eliminates the drone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
13mpg with 4cyl, 13mpg with 8cyl. The choice was simple for me. Never seen 21mpg, best was 16mpg, maybe mines just not broken in yet at only 35k? haha.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
many members here have reported that leaving the stock resonators on with an aftermarket muffler eliminates the drone.
I wouldn't say it eliminates the drone. But it does tone it down a bit.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
O2 buster , stop by the newbie section and get your official welcoming . Don't be a stranger . It would be great also if you could go to the User Cp at the top of the page and complete your profile for us . Thanks . Tom

·
Registered
880 Posts
I love the MDS especially on long trips...I appreciate the better gas mileage. I bought my RAM not only because of the incredible price, but also because it does get better gas mileage than most of the other pick-ups out there...so I think when I do the exhaust...that 'drone' will be the sound of money staying in my pocket that I don't have to spend on gas LOL besides...it clicks over to 8 cyls so fast..the person I am passing wouldn't even know...and if they do...oh well not their truck...it's mine

·
Registered
135 Posts
I kept my Magnum's exhaust stock because of all the mds drone complaints. I never heard mds kicking in or out, and I seldom felt it. My Ram however, has the factory dual tails which helps to make the mds painfully obvious, especially at lower speeds. So much so, that around town I just drive with the trans in 5. On the highway I leave it in auto and while I can tell when mds engages and disengages, its much less annoying.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts