DODGE RAM FORUM banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
The only way I know of is to select 8+ with the gear selection buttons. Unfortunately you have to do it every time the truck is restarted or if you take it out of drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a better way, Banks Power has a tuner called AutoMind and it DOES turn off MDS. I tried another brand that was highly recommended and it would not turn it off and they refunded my money. I called Banks and talked with Thomas and they sent me the AutoMind and it not only turned of my MDS but allowed me to enter a long list of other selections that made a ton of difference in my Hemi. Banks is the only way to go for a Hemi, in my opinion. IT WORKS!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a better way, Banks Power has a tuner called AutoMind and it DOES turn off MDS. I tried another brand that was highly recommended and it would not turn it off and they refunded my money. I called Banks and talked with Thomas and they sent me the AutoMind and it not only turned of my MDS but allowed me to enter a long list of other selections that made a ton of difference in my Hemi. Banks is the only way to go for a Hemi, in my opinion. IT WORKS!!!
I have never heard of any issues with Diablo and a few other programmers disabling MDS. Your the first person I've seen on here mention Banks. What other brand did you try?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My typical l driving is nothing but country roads 45 MPH Speed Limit, So I drive 54 MPH, no lights, but a few stop signs. 17 miles each way. I have tried one week with MDS ON, and the next week with it OFF. My mileage did Not change at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never heard of any issues with Diablo and a few other programmers disabling MDS. Your the first person I've seen on here mention Banks. What other brand did you try?
The first one I tried was Diablo. When I got it and couldn't get it to turn it off, I called the tech line and they spent and hour and a half with me in the truck to get it to turn it off, but it wouldn't do it. Then the tech told me that they had some issues with it and he didn't feel that it was very high on their priority list. So he refunded my money. That is when I contacted Thomas at Banks and theirs did it in just a couple of seconds. Plus I was able to adjust any parameters that I wanted to. GREAT tuner! GREAT people! GREAT Hemi (now).:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
17 Posts
with mds off actually my firends got better gas mileage. I hate mds because of my mods

I went 8k miles (one oil change cycle) on NO MDS. I turned it off by pressing the gear shift button on the steering wheel so it says 8. My average mileage went from 19.6 to 19.8 over the entire 8k miles! No change in driving habits or any mods to the truck in that time. Why use MDS if it makes my exhaust sound like crap? No benefits seen!

:box2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have and 07 ram with the mds and have had one issue where the lifter collapsed when the #7 solenoid failed at 160,000 miles the truck now has 264,000 and no issues. Original motor and transmission. Seems like I got one built in the middle of the week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have and 07 ram with the mds and have had one issue where the lifter collapsed when the #7 solenoid failed at 160,000 miles the truck now has 264,000 and no issues. Original motor and transmission. Seems like I got one built in the middle of the week.
@Prewitt Did your can shaft get lobbed? Did you install an MDS delete kit? I have two hemis, one in a 2014 charger rt and one in a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. My charger has the collapsed lifter issue at 94000 miles and I am considering installing the MDS delete kit on both the hemis to prevent the collapsed lifter and cam shaft destruction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't understand why every one is truing off MDS? Are you haveing problems with it? My 06 is about to turn off 100K miles and I'm inlove with my MDS. 21mpg on the highway.

What are the advantages of turning it off? Besides getting bad gas mileage?
Because the 5.7 has lifter concerns that take out the camshaft, and make a ticking noise. The people that are just turning it off are just kind of dumb and use some reasoning like the drone of the exhaust. Changing the camshaft to accept non mds lifters and replacing the valve seats is a bullet proofing process for the 5.7 hemi that is the only mechanical reason to shut down the mds.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts