DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to obtain the "wide stance"? Right now my tires come just past my fender wells. Do I just need to get a wider rim? What about offset? I run 275/60/20 Cooper Zeons on stock rims w/ a 3 in PA body lift. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
a combination of wheel offset and wheel width will give you that wider stance.

depends how far you want to go and how much room you have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, basically, I'm trying to get to this:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From this:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked into wheel spacers, and I'm kind of sittin on the fence with those. I don't think paying $300 for two more inches of space is going to get me very far.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
you are going to need to get aftermarket wheels.

in like a -44 offset or something in like a 10 inch wide wheel. not sure how much clearance you get with that 3" body lift.

that's my semi-educated guess

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help! What is the deal with the clearance? The tires and rim height would be the same right?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Thanks for your help! What is the deal with the clearance? The tires and rim height would be the same right?
yeah but once you get out far enough you'll rub when you turn the wheel.

Not familiar with clearance with just body lifts.

hopefully someone else can chime in

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I get it, width wise. My mind is blown today.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
yeah but once you get out far enough you'll rub when you turn the wheel.
Oh, I get it, width wise. My mind is blown today.
:smileup:

Lyons,

I always try and use something I learned in math a lifetime ago to visualize stuff like this. So if you need help with seeing how wheel/tire width will mess with your fenders & bumper corners try this:

Imagine that your wheel/tire is replaced with a pipe of equal diameter that is 10 feet long. Now imagine those pipes projecting out from both front wheel wells.

Now imagine what happens when you turn your steering wheel slowly...

LEFT TURN:

PASSENGER side effect:

Turning your wheel LEFT will cause the PASSENGER side pipe (tire) to COLLIDE with the corner of your bumper!

DRIVER side effect:

Turning your wheel LEFT will cause the pipe to COLLIDE with the BACK of your wheel well!

RIGHT TURN:

EXACT opposite effects.

The pipe represents your desire for a wider wheel, and is an oversimplification using the idea of limits (sort of) to demonstrate how the outer limits of your wheel/tire width possibilities will cause you trouble. They will cause RUBs on your BUMPER CORNERS & REAR-OUTER WHEEL WELL.

So at least know this - there are LIMITS to how crazy wide stance you can go. The question you seek is HOW FAR are those limits with your existing equipment - the tires/wheels you have plus your 3" body lift.

Call me lazy, but I tend to research the crap out of what other guys have done and choose a similar setup to what I envision wanting. Recipe style.

Here's a ghetto idea I just thought of that might help you see how adding width might affect RUBBING:

1) Use 2 jacks to unweight the front of your truck a bit. Enough to allow you to slip the cardboard tube (mentioned below) over your tire. Be sure to block the rear tires. You don't want the tires off the ground SAGGING because that will throw off what you want to have in place for this experiment - normal street geometry.

2) Take cardboard about a foot wide, and LONGER than your tire diameter; so larger than 33". Try 36" so you have overlap.

3) WRAP the cardboard around your front tire and TAPE it snug.

4) GRADUALLY pull the cardboard tube OUTWARDS an inch at a time. EACH time have someone else in the truck turn the wheel towards FULL LOCK left, then right while you WATCH for RUBS.

By doing this experiment you get to both visualize HOW widening your stance affects RUBBING, AND you can HONE-IN on just how wide you can go before you do rub.

EDIT: Obviously this experiment is best on a level concrete floor with sand under the tire/cardboard to lower the static coefficient allowing for turning, and not smearing of the cardboard tube. *clearing throat* 'umm, good luck' ;)

**Keep in mind the REULTS of this experiment will ONLY apply to your present configuration of tire and body lift. IF you change your present configuration down the road all bets are off...

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Several guys are running the -44 offsets with a 12.5" wheel and they just scrub the bumper at full lock. There is the -12 offset which is still 1" further out compared to stock. Also, keep in mind that depending on where you are you may be legally required to cover the tire with a fender flare.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I don't think it will work with just a 3" bodylift. For wide stance like that, would probably need a 6" suspension lift to clear for rubbing. Most trucks I have seen with that wide of a stance have had 6" lifts.

As Curtis said, you have to watch out for your laws about what is legal. I think in my province tires can't be 3" past the body, so flares are needed for anything over 3" past. Mine are about 2" with 12.50 tires on -12 offset.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a new idea! I may have to give that a try. Thanks for your help! If worst comes to worst, I may need to throw on a leveling kit with my body lift to squeeze them in. But I'll def have to try the cardboard tube idea. Thanks!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't consider the 12 offset either. That's always a possibility. I think I'm going to do a bit more researching on them. I'll keep you guys posted on whatever mods I go with. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think it will work with just a 3" bodylift. For wide stance like that, would probably need a 6" suspension lift to clear for rubbing. Most trucks I have seen with that wide of a stance have had 6" lifts.

As Curtis said, you have to watch out for your laws about what is legal. I think in my province tires can't be 3" past the body, so flares are needed for anything over 3" past. Mine are about 2" with 12.50 tires on -12 offset.

Wonder if I would have the clearance now if I went with -12 or -24 offset w/ just the 3 in body lift? How did yours work out with the -12? Did you have any spacers on the front or fit them with ease?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts