DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, swapped my stock res radio with the touchscreen model about a year ago. planning to sell my "old" radio. the guy who is interested has a 98 ram. will this fit without trimming? i cant find anything about it, the 98 radio looks smaller than the newer model in pictures. :wavey:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I remember hearing that a theft deterrent system was built in to newer stock radios and that they were coded to match individual vehicles. If this is true, your old radio would not be useful, unless the coding could be bypassed. I can't say for sure if this is with all of the radio lines or just the touch screen models.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting. the touchscreenmodel came from an older ram and works, was simple plug & play. so it could be my old radio works only in my truck? what if a dealer installs it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure on the details not having experienced it personally, but other members have mentioned the issue. I would think that if it is coded, it can be re-coded to the vehicle through a dealer. Compatibility between a given radio and another vehicles electronic/computer system is another thing that I am not sure about. Sorry to be raising more questions for you, but you could always contact the dealer and ask if the radio would be compatible with the vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts