DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first time back in a several months.

I wanted to share this picture with all of you that I took towards the end of a very long day to show you that the Hemi will make good fuel mileage. In early May I took a trip from the Oklahoma Panhandle to southern Mississippi. I left just after midnight and had a meeting planned for 3pm over 900 miles away in Mississippi. My route took me to OKC where I got on I-40, then I went east all the way to Memphis, then south almost to Jackson, Mississippi. I made my 3pm appointment and then went on to Jackson and finally west on I-20 to Vicksburg to spend the night. I took this photo of my trip odometer showing the total miles traveled and Mpg. This was the furthest i've ever driven in one day and I was beat, but I was very pleased with how the Hemi performed on the interstate. The cruise was set the entire way at around 75 mph. I love this truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Of course! I've averaged as high as 25 mpg for a tank with my 2017 hemi. Was a bit of a boring ride, but once you learn how to control the MDS.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
That is with 3.92 gears too..

I need a tailwind to get to 21 or very high elevation.

I wonder what is different between your 17 and my 16 Outdoorsman to have such an mpg difference?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My truck was capable of that before I messed with it. Once I leveled it, added a plow (cuts into the lower valance), added upsized AT tires....kissed that goodbye ;)
I'm glad you're pleased with the truck, it is capable of good mileage and it's very comfortable while doing so.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
It will do better than 21, mine has, though now with the heavy all terrains not so much.

The most I've driven in a single day without stopping for any mir ethan food, gas, and bathroom breaks is 1500 miles from Coastal North Carolina to San Antonio. When I moved last month my wife and I did 1200 miles from the same place to Central Missouri, though I had a trailer that time so my mileage was decidedly in the low teens

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It is amazing he got 21 with 3.92's, he would be very hard pressed to get much more.

OR he was in 7th gear when he took the picture :)

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Even leveled and larger wheels i get 21. Not around town though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is amazing he got 21 with 3.92's, he would be very hard pressed to get much more.

Nope, I was in 8th OD. I never use the manual gear buttons. I do have 3:92 gears. I also didn't mention that this was me and my Jack Russel, no relief driver.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Couldn't ask for a better traveling companion!

You might want to keep that truck, very very few 3.92 equipped trucks even get close to 20! Let alone 21 @75 mph

Did you hand calc. the mileage at all? Just to verify that you don't have a happy EVIC. lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had several of these trucks and something about this one makes me want to keep it. I have checked the evic before and it's been spot on. I had just filled up for the second time that day, so the average over two tanks and a thousand miles told me it wasn't just a fluke.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had the 3.92 in a quad hemi. Best Average = 20.5, so 21 is about right....

you might get more in a short trip, but I based mine on overall mileage.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
7th is also an overdrive gear

You might want to keep that truck, very very few 3.92 equipped trucks even get close to 20! Let alone 21 @75 mph

Maybe in PA. I lost a solid 2 MPG avg when I moved to the Ozarks

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quad cab has the best aerodynamics of all of the Ram bodies.
Most people with the CC and 3.92's get 17-18 @ 70+ mph.

I can just now get close to 20 and that is with a few mods Including aero mods.

Well, I could, I just went back to the stock tailpipe and took off the 3.5" tailpipe (6.4 hemi tailpipe) that was on there. Curious as to what that will do. I drove the truck for the first time in weeks and it was acting a bit strange - is it from the tailpipe change or sitting??? Time will tell.

The stock tailpipe is tiny compared to the 6.4 tailpipe lol. Exhaust seems louder with the stock pipe though.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,601 Posts
I did this just the other day, Saturday 08/04/2018. We went up & back to Omaha, NE to take (visit) the wife's son out for lunch. He is at Creighton University, in his last year. I have the 3.21, pretty much all freeway. I am impressed with 21.3 MPG!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
A few years ago we ran down to Central FL for Beach and attraction vacation and averaged 21+ mpg calculated. That was 4x4 Crew Cab, bed cover and loaded with luggage for 4 for a week plus. Really 70-75 mph is the sweet spot and flat FL running across the state is pretty easy to see high numbers. Love my 2014 so much it is +91k miles now so I decided to give it a break and bought a small sport car to run around in and save the truck for trips and hauling.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,643 Posts
Strictly highway, nice. Open the throttle once in a while and let that engine work so you don't have future issues from putzing around at low RPMs all the time to save a couple miles per gallon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
This mileage is easy, as long as you are moving.
I did about 1000 miles in Oregon a few years back with a combined total of 22. On the highway under 65 it got 25. Back and forth from my hotel to my retirement land was 2 miles and over 5 days of doing that it was 11.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
This mileage is easy, as long as you are moving.
I did about 1000 miles in Oregon a few years back with a combined total of 22. On the highway under 65 it got 25. Back and forth from my hotel to my retirement land was 2 miles and over 5 days of doing that it was 11.

3.21 gears or 3.92 gears.
Easy to hit low 20's with 3.21's
Very few hit 20-21 with the 3.92's - several hundred rpm difference between the two in 8th gear.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts