1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Get a service manual and follow it step by step if you have any automotive experience. If you don't but have a friend that has a lot of experience ( ricers excluded) then draw from their support. Once done this area never has to be revisited.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few buddies. But I also just read that when I take out the Plenum, I need to put new intake manifold gaskets off, is that true? haha.

Where do I get a service manual?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
You will be removing the intake manifold, so the gaskets will need replacing, and it appears they are included in the kit you linked to.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow.. how did I not even notice that..

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It's just tunnel vision. So busy lookin' at the forest (plenum gasket) you couldn't see the trees (intake gaskets). How's that for some dimestore analysis?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahah it's great. Theres a couple tutorials on the website. Instructions, and then a link to another dodge forum where someone made a tutorial with pictures. The only thing I'm concerned about is removing all the tubes and hoses with any liquid in them.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's not that bad. Just take your time.

If you were closer, I'd help you out. I've done 2, and like to think I have it down haha

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha do you have and random advice? I know i need to get a cheap special tool to take off the fuel rail or something like that though.

And yeah.. you're just a bit away! but hey! my parents are going to Texas in about 2 weeks! haha

·
Registered
796 Posts
haha do you have and random advice? I know i need to get a cheap special tool to take off the fuel rail or something like that though.

And yeah.. you're just a bit away! but hey! my parents are going to Texas in about 2 weeks! haha
No need to take off the fuel rail, or throttle body. Just relieve the fuel pressure with the shrader valve on the driver's side port on the fuel rail and use a fuel line disconnect tool.

Tell em to bring down the truck haha.

My advice would be to make sure the gaskets are in place and don't get moved around when you are putting the intake plenum back on. Also, use RTV on the front and rear intake manifold gaskets. Since you're going to have the intake manifold off, it would be a good time to replace your distributor cap and rotor, as well as the spark plugs and wires.

Also, the crankshaft position sensor wire on mine liked to fall back behind the distributor and it's hard to find. Just keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it says invalid URL :(

·
Registered
796 Posts
You ever get this done?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahhh no. This will have to be a project in the summer due to lack of money and surplus of cold weather and snow with no indoor place to tear apart my truck. I do plan on doing this though sometime when it starts to warm up again. In the meantime I migghttt take it in to a shop and have them simply replace the gasket when I get new tires or something like that where it'll already be in a shop. All depends on that terrible money factor though..

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
If you have them take it apart, you may as well have them fix it right the first time. No sense in tearing it apart twice.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have them take it apart, you may as well have them fix it right the first time. No sense in tearing it apart twice.
that is actually a terribly good point...

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's easy enough to do yourself and save some $$. Just don't rush and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't replace the paper gasket with another paper gasket. Just use a good bead of high temp silicone and it will never leak again. That is all you need. The gaskets between the heads and the intake are premium gaskets and you will not normally tear them or mess them up at all. Use clear silicone for the front and back gaskets. I have had my intake off multiple times to mod it for one. Cut the runners down you know and have never used replacement intake gaskets. I bought some the first time I pulled the intake. But when I saw the quality and the condition of the intake gaskets I just cleaned them off and left them alone where they were.
So you need a tube of high temp silicone and a tube of clear silicone and you are ready to repair the leaking intake gasket.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Add performance headers, cam & lifters, double roller timing chain, and a bigger throttlebody while you're at it. Since you're ALREADY into it this deep, take care of the other stuff while you're at it! That's what I'M doing to my RC this spring! :smileup:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Believe it or not, this had still not been done :''''D new headlights and more hids just sound more fun! Haha. In all seriousness I plan on doing it this winter or early spring. It is starting to suck down my gas mileage quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts