DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One cold morning in NE Ohio I got into my truck and eventually tried to roll the drivers-side window down and it "popped". I could hear the motor inside going up and down as I pressed the button, but the window was still frozen closed. So I just pressed the button up and let it be. A few days later when the temp got higher, I got in and tried to roll the window down and it went down but the auto-up/down feature worked as described below:

If the window is down, I'll click the auto-up button and it'll roll all the way up and then back down halfway on it's own.

If the window is all the way up and I click the auto-down button it doesn't go all the way down. It stops about 1/2" from going all the way inside of the door.

I tried closing the window and then pressing and holding the auto-down button for 5 (and 10) seconds then holding the auto-up button for 5 (and 10) seconds to try to "reset" the window memory, but that didn't work.

I also tried the below steps as suggested in a different thread on this site, but it didn't work either:

-Close the window,

-Open the window all the way but not with the auto switch(just hold the button enough that it opens).

-Close the window the same way without activating the auto switch.

-Open the window while holding the auto switch down until the window is open.

-Close the Window while holding the auto switch until the window is closed.

FYI... I have a 2011 Ram quad cab. I do NOT have any vents on my door windows that would stop the window from going up. I'm starting to think the window may just be resting on the clips that hold the glass to the mechanism. That would explain why it doesn't go down into the door when fully opened, and why it would think that there is something in the way on its way up and then goes back down halfway. I'm just trying all options before opening the door panel. Plus it's winter and I don't have a garage to use to take the panel off to investigate. So I'm fine with waiting until spring.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The window motors have a sensor in them that will test for resistance on travel up. This is for safety, as if someone has there head in the window and it gets rolled up so that they don't get hurt or choked before the window up limit switch is activated, then the window will reverse and go down.

Sounds like your window is off the track and not hitting the up limit switch before this kicks in even though the window reaches the top.

Hope this makes some sense.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
I wonder if the early Generation 4 Ram are like the newer 4th Gen

If i recall correctly there is a way to reset the motors

It was something like pushing then holding the drivers master window switch down & holding it for a period of time, etc.

It is used in making the windows work when In Channel Vent Visors are installed

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
The process is to put the window in the middle. Raise it up all the way and hold the switch for about 10 seconds past when it is up. The lower it all the way down again holding the switch for an extra 10 seconds. Then try to raise it again using the auto up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts