DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to get my windows tinted in the next couple weeks. would like to see some pics and hear some advice from people who have learned from experience. i'm thinking of putting 20% on my front windows and over the factory back window and sides. i also am thinking of adding a brow but was thinking of doing 5% to better cover the ram logo behind the rear view mirror. would it look strange to have a 5% brow with everything else being 20? Does it make enough of a difference to pay the extra to go over the stock? Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wanting to get my windows tinted in the next couple weeks. would like to see some pics and hear some advice from people who have learned from experience. i'm thinking of putting 20% on my front windows and over the factory back window and sides. i also am thinking of adding a brow but was thinking of doing 5% to better cover the ram logo behind the rear view mirror. would it look strange to have a 5% brow with everything else being 20? Does it make enough of a difference to pay the extra to go over the stock? Any advice is appreciated!
Whatever you do, make sure the tint is in compliance with your state/provincial law. Google "window tint laws" for guidance. Also be aware that even if you are in compliance with your home law, you can still be pulled-over and ticketed if you visit another jurisdiction with stricter tint laws. Pennsylvania law doesn't allow ANY tint on the front windshield, even thought many vehicles come equipped that way from the factory.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I had 35% done on the driver and passage windows

Make sure they are using the newer tint for cars with safety glass on the side windows

Being I see you are from IL. I got my done over at ABT in Glenview check them out :smileup:

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
laws smawls. If you want 20% chances are you are "breaking the law", whatever it's like a $60 ticket IF you get one, in most places. If you want to know your consequences, then sure look it up. Everyone and their mother has tinted windows, I wouldn't be scared to go 20%. The stock back windows are already 20% so no sense in covering it up with 20%.....

I think the brow would look fine no matter what % you got. But, make sure the tint company uses the right kind of tint for these new windows. If they are good, they should know that anyway.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have pics of the set up I described? And what kind of tint do these windows require I haven't heard anything about this yet.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
What do you mean what "kind" of tint?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gone fishin mentioned to make sure the tint shop used the right kind of tint for these new windows. I wasn't sure what he meant by that

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
What do you mean what "kind" of tint?
Gone fishin mentioned to make sure the tint shop used the right kind of tint for these new windows. I wasn't sure what he meant by that
the new glass in some newer vehicles has something different about it. Some "safety" recipe. The old laminate won't hold as well, so there is a special kind of tint they use now. they guy a couple posts before me mentioned it as well. i think there is some sort of stamp in the corner that indicates the different glass

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Does anyone have pics of the set up I described? And what kind of tint do these windows require I haven't heard anything about this yet.
you probably won't get pics of that. No one tints on the tint. Well maybe a few, but are you trying to get the windows DARKER in the rear? Is that why you want 20% over the 20%?

Tint is tint man, not hard to visualize. 20% is really common and on a lot of trucks on this forum

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
i did 20% on all my windows, which makes the back darker than the front. i cant post pics right now, but if you check out my build thread youll see it. but ill also post some pics tonight when i get off work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did 15% all the way around, it made the rear windows darker, but that is what I wanted. I often keep my golf clubs in the rear seat and it is hard to see in. Like gonefishin said, tint is tint. What Grubrunner posted is what most do, it looks good, it just didn't work for what I needed and where I live.

·
Registered
48 Posts
laws smawls. If you want 20% chances are you are "breaking the law", whatever it's like a $60 ticket IF you get one, in most places. If you want to know your consequences, then sure look it up. Everyone and their mother has tinted windows, I wouldn't be scared to go 20%. The stock back windows are already 20% so no sense in covering it up with 20%.....

I think the brow would look fine no matter what % you got. But, make sure the tint company uses the right kind of tint for these new windows. If they are good, they should know that anyway.
Having more tint than the law allows is probable cause for the police to pull you over. Maybe they won't; maybe they will if they are bored. If you are ok with that, then tint-away. Having more tint than the law allows sets you up for criminal charges and civil liability if you are involved in a serious accident and the lawyer says it was because you couldn't see because of the tint. Not sure of the laws, but your insurance company may also deny your claim. If you are willing to accept these risks, then tint-away.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

There's a couple pics of mine. Like I said earlier 20% all around. Back windows you basically have to put face on window to see in. Front is easier but still pretty dark to keep it cool

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
KC - very nice, thanks for sharing! Utah, on the fronts, won't allow more than 43% with a 5% leeway so 35% would be pushing it but doable with 20% fronts I'd be begging for a ticket, lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got 20% put on. Not as dark as I was hoping it would turn out. I'd post a picture but don't know how. ����

1 - 18 of 18 Posts