DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my dad has an 04 1 ton and his power windows only work with the drivers controls. The dealer told him that the design of the window lock allows dirt and dust to get in it causing the window lock to engage. Can anyone tell me if this is true or shed some more light on it?

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 05 Dakota did the exact same thing. Ended up replacing all the window switches (there was a design change with my year)...the warranty company picked up the tab for 3 of them, I bought the matching drivers side and changed it so they all matched.

The switch for the passenger side was only $25...I'd start there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Because all the switches go through the Driver control first, changing the others first could be a waist of money. The driver switch unit is a master off all the others, so if it's bad, the other won't work at all. You can test the passenger switches with a simple multimeter, no need throw cash at it until you can narrow it down some more.

My driver switch is loose on a shelf, so I had a quick look at it. If there is debris in it, you should be able to blow it out with some dry compressed air after removing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. usually hitting the window lock a few times works, but its been getting worse and the window lock trick isn't as effective anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 04 did the same thing when I bought it last month. I took the driver master switch out and diassembled it. I found one of the soldered contacts on th master window lockout switch had broken away from the board. I resoldered the contacts and now it works perfect. If you decide to do this the rockers for the switches take quite a bit of pulling to get them off but they won't break. Just pull on them until they pop off. Hope this helps. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Window Override in Master switch Not working

I had the same problem in my 2002 quad cab 1500. First I Sprayed contact cleaner in the original master switch and the override functioned normally for a few hours. I ordered a used master switch from EBay and it worked for the First day then acted just like the original switch. In another Thread someone talked about broken solder connections inside the master switch so I decided to take the original switch apart. The hardest this is prying the Buttons off of the switches without breaking the switch itself. Once you do this the rest is easy. I then removed the 6 screws from the back and used a small screwdriver to pry the tabs open. Once opened I was able to see the broken solder connections clear as day, a Magnifying glass is helpful as well. I re flowed ALL the solder connections just in case and tried it out before I put it all back together, It worked Great!! I was able to do the same with the switch I ordered from eBay and it worked now as well. You may also want to clean the contactors of the other switches with contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol they were covered with carbon dust. I hope this helps!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 2 bad solder connections were just above the Push button switch for the override, If you look close u should be abl eto see a ring or gap arouond the Pin it is soldered too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts