DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum so please bear with me. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie that I recently purchased (3 months ago). I was heading to work and had a rock hit my windshield and crack it pretty good. :3-angry1: I have an appointment to get a new windshield this afternoon. My question is, will it alter my rain sensing wipers in any way when a new windshield is installed? Thanks in advance guys! Glad to be a part of this great forum.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Good question, I read somewhere and I can't say for sure if it's true but someone was saying that the rain sesnor is part of the windshield.

Doesn't sound right to me, the sensor sits behind your rear view mirror and I would think that the windshield could be removed without disturbing it.

The glass guys should know, but hard to say.

When you find out let everyone know what the deal is. I'd like to know for sure myself how it works.

·
Registered
347 Posts
According to what I've read, the rain sensor is on the back/near the rear view mirror. It uses a laser and the bounce back in light tells it when to put the wipers on or off.
Light reflects off rain/water different than glass.
In theory...it should work on any windshield.
But as a Limited owner...I'm concerned with this as well.
There's a lot of "junk" on the top of my factory windshield...

Would like an answer as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My buddy had his windshield replaced on a 2013 LongHorn with the rain sensing wipers, the sensor is in the windshield itself and can not be removed. I believe he spent around $750 for the window replacement.

Now the headlight Auto High beam control sensor is attached to the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The replacement will have the sensor in it. I found this on another post.
I had my windshield replaced by Safe Lite auto glass. Windshield is the correct OEM and rain sensing. However, like many of you my wipers would swipe on start up. After multiple inspections of the glass and consulting friends at Chrysler I ended up on the phone with Safe Lite. Extremely helpful! I talked to the executive team and we came to a possible conclusion that there is a gel pad that sticks everything back to the windshield that if not in the exactly correct position, or with a wrinkle or any imperfection could cause the rain sensor to "see" moisture if you will. Not sure if this is the fix. I will be inspecting the windshield again and Safe Lite will be returning to take their time and replace the gel pad. If this fixes my issue I will pass it on. Safelite ended up installing a second windshield in mine due to the rain sending wipers making a single pass at start up. Happy to report everything has been fine since then!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was also wondering about this? I find that occasionally when I drive from bright sunlight into a covered area the wipers will swipe across once. Not sure why this happens, but it does occasionally on my Laramie? Also I would use Safe Lite if I had a cracked windshield, they have always treated me right. And would want the Ram logo on the lower right corner of the windshield.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was also wondering about this? I find that occasionally when I drive from bright sunlight into a covered area the wipers will swipe across once. Not sure why this happens, but it does occasionally on my Laramie? Also I would use Safe Lite if I had a cracked windshield, they have always treated me right. And would want the Ram logo on the lower right corner of the windshield.
This is common, the sun will make the sensor think there is water on the windshield. Also I know in other brands that gel pad will make a huge difference in how well the wipers work or don't work.. I can't imagine RAM is any different..

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum so please bear with me. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie that I recently purchased (3 months ago). I was heading to work and had a rock hit my windshield and crack it pretty good. :3-angry1: I have an appointment to get a new windshield this afternoon. My question is, will it alter my rain sensing wipers in any way when a new windshield is installed? Thanks in advance guys! Glad to be a part of this great forum.
IMO, sounds like a insurance deal, take it to your Ram dealer ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I was Finished

Hey guys, sorry its been a couple of days, but you know how work goes sometimes :4-dontknow:. I dropped my Ram off at an auto glass company on Wednesday to find out they ordered the wrong windshield. Apparently they didn't order one with a humidity sensor, so I had to wait until this morning to drop it off. It is currently getting replaced as we speak. I'll keep you all informed.

So by it being a sensor in the windshield, will it need to be calibrated? Just curious i suppose.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hey guys, sorry its been a couple of days, but you know how work goes sometimes :4-dontknow:. I dropped my Ram off at an auto glass company on Wednesday to find out they ordered the wrong windshield. Apparently they didn't order one with a humidity sensor, so I had to wait until this morning to drop it off. It is currently getting replaced as we speak. I'll keep you all informed.

So by it being a sensor in the windshield, will it need to be calibrated? Just curious i suppose.
The sensor is located just behind the rearview mirror attached to the inside of the windshield.
The system uses a infrared LED with a photo diode sensor. It is designed to look for reduction of signal strength that occurs to the infrared light when a rain drop or rain droplets are present. The rain drops lowers the signal levels by allowing the light to pass through the glass rather than be reflected back under non rain circumstances.
The calibration is quite exact and can be disturbed by replacement of the windshield with an "after market" or non-dealer replacement. The adhesive tape used to attach the sensor is very important and if not set correctly will perhaps cause the system to fail.

There is not much that one needs to do to maintain the system, as it is designed to be self checking and assumes the windshield will have the normal amount of accumulation of dirt. However there are cases where the system can false trigger by the correct amount of dust or if the sun hits the sensor just right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had my windshield replaced a month ago.. I had two options; aftermarket was $299 and oem was $388 canadian plus tax. I went with oem for the confort that the rain sensor and the foward camara (auto highbeams) had a factory mounting location (and look). The oem windshield comes with the block for your rearview mirror mount and the bracket for the rain sensor already mounted to the glass. This makes install plug and play with no recalibration required by the dealer. None of my local dealers do there own glass replacement, they farm out the jobs to the local auto glass places. I bought glass from the dealer and had speedy glass replace it. Very happy with the final result and was complete for $500 tax in.

Hope this helps, cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All is well now

Finally was able to have everything resolved. Finally got the correct windshield and got it installed.

I had an accumulation of dew on my new windshield this morning and my wipers flawlessly turned on and off. I suppose we will see how this works out, but it all seems to be working at the moment. Thanks for everyone's comments, this has been a very informative thread for me and I hope that others will find it helpful.:smileup::smileup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts