DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my windshield wipers. When I turn the switch to cut them on, they don't come on, at all. But however, when I push in the handle to spray the windshield wiper fluid onto the windshield, they work then. What could be causing the windshield wipers not to function? Please Help!

E

·
0 Posts
The usual culprit here is a failing multi-switch on the stalk. The contacts wear out.

E

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure. I haven't had to replace it on this Ram. My '99 had that problem and it cost me a little over $350 to have it replaced. I woulda done it myself but I was out of town a lot then.

To save on some parts cost if you want to do it yourself, I'd check local auto parts stores for the part.

E

·
0 Posts
When I looked into this the steps were:

1. Disconnect battery. Wait at least 30 minutes before doing anything with airbag.

2. Remove airbag.

3. Remove steering wheel.

4. On my '99 you needed to unbolt the collar, slip it to the side so you could get to the bolts and connector at the base of the stalk.

5. Remove stalk, replace with new.

6. When re-installing the steering wheel, use thread lock and torque to 80 lb ft. I'd confirm the torque spec for yours.

That's about what I can dig up from memory.

I'm sure my service manual at home has more info on this. If you want the entire remove and replace process, PM me and I'll dig it up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my windshield wipers working again! I went to Autozone and was able to buy a turn signal switch very cheap. The exact issue was that the turn signal switch went bad, even though the turn signals, high beams, and windshield fluid worked, the wipers themselves did not work. The turn signal switch I got from Autozone was originally $78 or somewhere along the lines of that. I asked the Autozone Employee if Autozone did Military Discounts, he said "I do, because my family is mostly Military", and he was able to sell me the switch for the lowest he was allowed to sell it, which come out to $62.99. Then the manager asked me if I knew how to install it. I replied back saying I don't have the slightest clue. The Manager of Autozone then said "Here's my cell phone number, I am off work tomorrow so give me a call and I will install it for you for $25."

And just to think, the dodge dealership wanted to charge $85 for a dianostic and $250 for the switch. These guys at Autozone really took care of me, I am glad that there are people out there that help us out the best they can! I could not thank these guys enough!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts