DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I thought I would do a quick shoutout and ask for upgrades, suggestions, tips, tricks that maybe I do not know about.

I have a 2010 ram 1500 that I drive ice roads on, but I do not mean the roads they run on the tv shows, I mean the roads that the cameras wont go on, and into the spring thaw when its rough and melty. I have been doing this for years for work and have my truck a bit built up for it. But I am still learning. I just found out about the sway bar upgrade.

So that being said, maybe some suggestions on what I should run? Or suggestions on better setups? I went with the 1500 instead of a 2500 because generally I do not haul / tow too much with my truck and the IFS has all the articulation I need. Same reasoning for the 4.7L instead of a Hemi, just did not need that much power or want the 4 cylinder option. I have a 2 1/2" suspension life level struts on the front with spacers on the back to level it. I went with full rough country HD axles with high angles, control arms, etc. 2500 front bumper with a winch behind it. 20" rims with the goodyear 10 ply duratracs (I do have tire chains that I put on because this is also a street city truck when I am not working), rhino lined the whole truck (has held up really well while scraping through the brush), rigid leds cut into the back, rigid light bar in the front, a hard wired battery tender so when I plug in the block heater it charges the battery, command start, heated seats, husky liners front and back, now the suspension max sway bar end links … not running a CAI and not going to as I am not going to be running anything high performance enough to get any actual gains out of it. I do have the full factory skid plates, they have taken a beating quite a few times and plan on doing some upgrades to them … Not sure if I will try to fit the 2500 skid plates on (if I can find them) or if I am just going to do something with diamond plate ... factory exhaust with the single side pipe, not going to change that set up as I don’t like noise and am not going to build the motor to get any decent gains out of doing exhaust ... have a set of cloud rider winter grill inserts I also got rhino lined

For road conditions that I drive … the worst water I have been in has been just over the top of my wheels to the point it was coming in the bottom of the doors. Thawing mud that's just nasty and some rocks that are not too bad but not too good either … I don't plan on running a snorkel because if the water gets deeper than what I have been in, my plan is to bail out the window as the truck breaks through the ice …

So any suggestions on other things I should run? Any must haves, mudding or winter off-roading equipment / suggestions?

I know that winter roads / winter off-roading is not the usual because it combines mudding, rocks, water and cold but hey, I also know a lot of you have more knowledge and experience than I do. So far I have made it 270,000 km with my 2010 getting beaten on and I would really like to put another 300,000 on my tuck before I kill it lol .

Any thoughts/suggestions ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing I forgot to add, I did get the truck with the tow package so it does have factory limited slip, so no single wheel moments. The 4x4 is great and generally I try to drive with the theory 2 wheels to get into a situation, 4 wheels to get out ... I think I’ve only used 4 low once and that was pretty bad, shattered a front axel, bent a control arm cracked a strut and had to limp it back to the city over 2,500 km ... was an expensive moment

1 - 2 of 2 Posts