DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I've ordered my brand new RAM 3500 LTD, as it was a factory order, I'm still waiting for it.
It will be my 1st diesel so here's a few questions for you knowledgeable crowd.
I live in Alberta and we get down to -40 F or C in winter time. From what I know the DEF fluid is basically water, and this shit WILL freeze!
So what do you folks, living in colder areas, do in winter time? Keep it plugged in the whole winter?

With me working overseas and visiting wifes fam this coming winter, I wouldn't even be home for about 3 months right through the winter.
What do you suggest I do? Drain the DEF tank and drive the truck until all the lines are dry? Will it throw a CEL code when it's all empty?

Just curious what dealers in Northers States, or in Canada do to their stock during winter time, I don't think they have all their vehicles plugged in, so they must keep the DEF tanks empty until they're sold and ready to be picked up by customers?

Deleting all the emissions junk is in future plans but I won't be doing it right away so will have to deal with it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I've searched and read it is designed to get frozen and apparently it is ok. But I got confused by a number of posts I've read when they say the DEF components (including tank, lines and injectors) getting destroyed by frozen water. I guess that would make it a warranty work.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I don't do anything with the DEF system in the winter. I drive the truck, in the winter, little if at all. No issues or problems, the DEF system has been designed for freezing. All I do is park the truck on wood to prevent the concrete from wicking moisture from the tires and use a battery tender to keep the batteries charged.

Reactions: Shurup
1 - 3 of 3 Posts