DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is already been brought up. For some reason, I am unable to search. I have a 2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn. 5.7L HEMI 5.7 bed. I know the 2015 and 2016 came with the wireless charging pad in the front console, just under the control panel for air ride, seat warmers/cooling etc.. I was wondering if I can buy this wireless charge pad and put it in my 2014. It allows you to charge your cellphone by just laying the phone on the pad. On phones that have this feature of course. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
That's news to me. I didn't know it had that.

·
Super Moderator
34,746 Posts
Never heard about that feature. I thought there was only like one or two phones that worked with that kind of charger anyway

·
Registered
569 Posts
The factory wireless charger used a charging standard called "open dots" charging. Meaning that in order to use it, you must have an open dots compatible case, as no phone comes standard with that. Which is handy that almost any phone can take advantage of it, as long as they make a case for it, but is a pain because who wants to use a special phone case.

Nevertheless, if that's what your looking for, the PN should be 82213216. Its $162 and apparently comes with a voucher for a free phone case. Not 100% sure it will fit because about halfway through 2015 they changed the shape of the console, though this looks like it is universal.

Here's an aftermarket option aswell.

This one uses the Qi standard, which I'm assuming is what your after. Looks like it just steals power from the 12V in the console bucket. Should be a relatively easy install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys

I noticed it in the RAM trucks brochure at the RAM dealership. Thanks for the clarification. Ill check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked at the 3rd party (aftermarket) brand in the link. That's more absurd than the Mopar one. $250..... Not that important!!!! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The new iPhones 7s/8 will have built in wireless charging capabilities, too bad the truck didn't come with a wireless pad like most European vehicles from the factory. Dealer wants $363msrp Canadian for the Mopar unit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry if this is already been brought up. For some reason, I am unable to search. I have a 2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn. 5.7L HEMI 5.7 bed. I know the 2015 and 2016 came with the wireless charging pad in the front console, just under the control panel for air ride, seat warmers/cooling etc.. I was wondering if I can buy this wireless charge pad and put it in my 2014. It allows you to charge your cellphone by just laying the phone on the pad. On phones that have this feature of course. Thanks for info.
I had a MY2016 Laramie Longhorn and now have a MY2017 Laramie Longhorn and neither came with wireless charging. Neither build sheet mentions it and my Samsung S7 Edge doesn't charge wirelessly in the console anywhere.

I have seen someplace that Mopar has a wireless charger that fits where the phone stands in the console that can be added, but don't remember where I saw it. May have been on a mailer ad from them. I will ask after it this Tuesday when I am at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
34,746 Posts
Seems like an overpriced gimmick

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I found out today that the part that dealerships sell is a 3rd party non Mopar part. It's $250 retail but can be found on Amazon and other resellers for less. Part number is 82214869-AB. You can't order it as an factory option install, it's a dealer or DIY install. Not sure if it uses the Qi wireless charging standard (Samsung phones use Qi), so I asked the Amazon seller.

I bought a charging kit at Costco for $9.99 that includes a dual 12V charger, 2 USB to mini-USB cords and a 110V converter that charges via USB. I can charge 3 devices using all that. Also, you have the USB outlets in the console and back of console on the Laramie Longhorns, so the wireless option seems rather pointless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I found out today that the part that dealerships sell is a 3rd party non Mopar part. It's $250 retail but can be found on Amazon and other resellers for less. Part number is 82214869-AB. You can't order it as an factory option install, it's a dealer or DIY install. Not sure if it uses the Qi wireless charging standard (Samsung phones use Qi), so I asked the Amazon seller.

I bought a charging kit at Costco for $9.99 that includes a dual 12V charger, 2 USB to mini-USB cords and a 110V converter that charges via USB. I can charge 3 devices using all that. Also, you have the USB outlets in the console and back of console on the Laramie Longhorns, so the wireless option seems rather pointless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Or maybe you could just purchase the wireless charger and charge it to the USB port instead of installing a wireless charger just for ram. For sure using the USB port would be cheaper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts