DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99' 1500 with a 98' 5.9 v8, It starts up no problem but when i start driving it feels so sluggish especially going up any hill it will struggle and also wont climb past 35mph roughly. At around 2-3k RPM it wont pick up any speed just climb in RPM and when i let off the truck kind of jerks a little bit. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Funny you should mention this issue...I had the exact same symptoms with my '02 5.9 V8 just recently. I thought I was gonna hafta tear into the throttle body and give it a deep cleaning, which is what a mechanic friend suggested. After removing the air tube off the throttle body, I just happened to notice, on the passenger side of the throttle body, there's 2 cables that lead from the accelerator, and the outermost cable was looped over the "cam" (for lack of a better word... I don't recall the exact term), and instead it was supposed to go under the cam, feeding thru a V groove. I have no idea how it got repositioned. All I know is I looped it back where it was supposed to be and it runs like its old self! Lemme know if you want some pics and I can try to post them for ya.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny you should mention this issue...I had the exact same symptoms with my '02 5.9 V8 just recently. I thought I was gonna hafta tear into the throttle body and give it a deep cleaning, which is what a mechanic friend suggested. After removing the air tube off the throttle body, I just happened to notice, on the passenger side of the throttle body, there's 2 cables that lead from the accelerator, and the outermost cable was looped over the "cam" (for lack of a better word... I don't recall the exact term), and instead it was supposed to go under the cam, feeding thru a V groove. I have no idea how it got repositioned. All I know is I looped it back where it was supposed to be and it runs like its old self! Lemme know if you want some pics and I can try to post them for ya.
Yeah if you have any pics I would be happy to look at them

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If you struggle to get over 3000 rpm it could be a sign of plugged cats. I you remove the front O2 sensors and ty them out of the way and try running it and see if the rpm will increase. If it does it is because the removed sensors gives room for the extra backpressure to escape. Also run some Seafoam in your tank, as it will clean all fuel related parts including O2 sensors and the cats if they aren't too plugged. You may have to do it 2 tanks in a row to see better results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took a few pics for ya...hopefully this solves your problem. You can see where the cable runs in the V in the black plastic cam. Somehow mine had slipped out of the V groove and was riding on top of the cam.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior
Musical instrument Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Hood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you struggle to get over 3000 rpm it could be a sign of plugged cats. I you remove the front O2 sensors and ty them out of the way and try running it and see if the rpm will increase. If it does it is because the removed sensors gives room for the extra backpressure to escape. Also run some Seafoam in your tank, as it will clean all fuel related parts including O2 sensors and the cats if they aren't too plugged. You may have to do it 2 tanks in a row to see better results.
It doesn't have a problem increasing RPM I could red line it if I wanted, its after 2k RPM where it won't pick up any speed. And eventide you lift off the throttle the whole truck Jerks forward a small amount

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rats...I was hoping it was gonna be an easy fix for ya. I'm just a backyard mechanic, so I don't have much else, other than cleaning the throttle body. My mechanic buddy mentioned it might be one of the controls attached to the throttle body as well...removing them, cleaning, and replacing. Hopefully somebody's got a remedy for ya!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rats...I was hoping it was gonna be an easy fix for ya. I'm just a backyard mechanic, so I don't have much else, other than cleaning the throttle body. My mechanic buddy mentioned it might be one of the controls attached to the throttle body as well...removing them, cleaning, and replacing. Hopefully somebody's got a remedy for ya!
Yeah hopefully I fix it soon thanks for the help

·
Registered
119 Posts
Two things came to mind, one was the crank position sensor that determines when the computer provides the spark timing and the second was a blown head gasket. A dye test can be used to check on the head gasket and if coolant, even a small amount is getting into the fuel supply it will greatly reduce the power from the engine.

Don't let some "mechanic" start replacing parts one after another until the symptoms go away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My money would be on the 'cats', had this problem on a '94 5.9 with only 8 or 9 thousand miles. Ran and cranked just like always, reved fine when not under load but would not pull itself across the parking lot. Burned egr valve, piping, in addition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I AGREE WITH NUMBER 12. IF YOUR TRUCK HAS NO BALLS, ITS A CAT CONVERTOR. Mine would start right up, runs for hours. did fine around town, but the highway was a no-no. Mine was a 99. fixed the cat, it ran great. Friend told me about his, had no balls. Couldn't pass a Prius. Yep, Cat convertor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So many answers, all so different. Some auto parts stores will test your system for free, with that diagnostic tool. Use it brother.
Answer numbers 5 and 12, Cat convertor is what I think. Mine cost about $350 to replace, 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That "no power when climbing" and the surge when you let off the accelerator sounds exactly like a problem I had 40 years ago with a '79 International Scout (hey, I was young). Turned out to be the fuel filter.

Apparently some kind of flaky substance was being sucked up against the filter, clogging the flow of fuel on high demand, and letting off the pedal allowed it to float back enough that a bit more gas would get through for a brief surge.

Cheap enough to try, and might actually work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 99' 1500 with a 98' 5.9 v8, It starts up no problem but when i start driving it feels so sluggish especially going up any hill it will struggle and also wont climb past 35mph roughly. At around 2-3k RPM it wont pick up any speed just climb in RPM and when i let off the truck kind of jerks a little bit. Any help would be appreciated.
I had a very similar problem with a 360. After messing with all the usual suspects, carburetor, ignition timing, etc…the solution was a locked up torque converter. Problem solved. 🤔

1 - 17 of 17 Posts