DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello RamForumz members, my name is Nick and am new here. I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.9 L, 4 spd, automatic Transmission, and 4wd. I'm having issues it the past couple of that started intermittently and progressively became more and more frequent.

Here's what happens... the first couple of times it wouldn't start from a cold start, I would let it sit for a while and come back to it and she would fire right up. More recently she would fire up fine (running rough and bog down and cut out while heavy accelerating, but she wouldn't kill) but would kill once the engine got to operating temperature. She has left me stranded a few times, the most recent time she couldn't even make it to the end of my road (around .25 mi). My EGR valve case is rusted to all hell, but that wouldn't cause her to kill.

I'm at a stand still. I've pulled codes, replaced a cracked battery terminal, weather proofed my ECU, checked for vacuum leaks. I still need to check my fuel system. The only other thing I can think of would be a failed ECU which I can't afford right now. Any ideas? PLEASE HELP, I'm stumped and frustrated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most likely your EGR. An EGR valve that fails to close properly can act as a vacuum leak, causing the fuel and air mixture to become too lean, resulting in an engine that sputters and misses at idle. This can also lead to engine stalling and hesitation upon acceleration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will try that, otherwise I was speaking to a friend they were thinking it might be an ignition coil. Tried the ECU that didn't work, tried the ASD relay that didn't work either. So I think I will pull the ignition coil and test it next. other than that I will test the EGR valve then I'm stumped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts