DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my truck just dies on me while driving yesterday. checked everything to do with the fuel system and it wasnt that than checked brain box. the timeing and spark but still nothin. any one got suggestions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my truck cranks and cranks but it just wont pop over. than we tried switching the brain box with my dads truck since its the same exact truck. still nothing. not a single code popped up either. no check engine light came on. checked fuel pressure with gauge and it read bout 48

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Check fuse #3, fuse #6 and the 'Auto Shut-Down Relay. They are all located in the PDC (aka Fuse Box) under the hood.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have had sudden and severe death of ignition coils before, and I always, these days, carry a spare behind the seat, cheap insurance, especially when you are far from civilization, they don't take up a lot of space, cheap chinese parts are , well, you really do seem to get what you pay for these days...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes we have checked for spark even did a tune up the coil has plenty of spark but the plugs seem to have little spark. i just cant figure out what it is.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
What color is the spark? If it's yellow, there is likely not enough energy to fire under compression, If it's blue....or blue/white, it should be good.

Can you verify that the Auto Shut Down relay is operating. With the ignition turned on, pull the relay. When you plug it back in, it should click.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spark color is blue/white. and the relay clicked when the ignition was on. also tried the fuel pump relay and that one clicked also and you could hear the fuel pump
kick in.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Also, can you test that you have power at the fuel injectors. A voltmeter or light will work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
compression is still good we just got done checking. only has 97,000. i will see if the rotor is spinning or not im pretty sure it is because multiple plugs have spark. we dont know what it could be anymore. any other suggestions would be very helpful

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
If you can check of power right at the fuel injectors, that will test the wiring from the Auto Shut Down Relay to the injectors. There is at least one splice point that if bad would remove power form the injectors and cause this exact symptom.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
The basics -
Air - I'm pretty sure you have that.
Fuel - Check
Spark - Check
Compression - Check

Details - (Timing) spark plug must fire when the piston gets to TDC on compression

Skipping the timing light, can you verify that #1 spark plug is firing when #1 piston is at the top of compression. I do this by removing the plug, putting my finger in the spark plug hole and turn the engine with a wrench on the crankshaft. You can feel the compression cycle when it starts. I continue to turn the crankshaft until the timing mark on the balancer lines up the TDC mark. Pull the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Hopefully it's pointing at #1.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yupp me and my dad did that test and the rotor was pointing at number 1. im going to talk to a couple mechanics today.the only thing that throws me off is that it never threw a code. no check engine light came on at all while driving down the road

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
By chance, did you try replacing the rotor. I have seen where the rotor develops a carbon trace through the center which partially grounds out the coil spark to the shaft of the distributor and weakens the spark enough to fail under compression. It still passes the 'color' test, but just doesn't have the energy.
You mentioned your dad has the same truck, so you could possibly borrow his rotor for testing. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yupp we put a new rotor on it last nite with a new cap and plugs. some people think its the crank shaft position sensor. but i haven't had the chance to replace that yet. hopefully gonna try that tonight.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
That is a very good possibility. If there is no pulse from the Crank sensor, the PCM will not send pulses to the fuel injectors. I can't believe I didn't think to mention this as a possibility. :doh:

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Tag...I'm back in...I was leaning towards the whole timing issue with the compression and checkin' the rotor. My next paintball at the side of the barn was going to be the crank position sensor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts