DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stopped yesterday for less than 5 mins, when I put my truck into drive, I realized the motor had shut off. I havent been able to start it since then...The plugs and plug wires were replaced before I bought the truck 4 months ago...I replaced the coil & sprayed ether in the intake and there has been no change. My check engine light is not on so I assume I wont get any error codes with a reader. I tryed asking a guy at an auto parts store about maybe a clogged fuel filter, but he said he couldnt find one in his system for my truck...but without it starting with the ether, Im leaning more to an electrical problem...not sure what to check next....any ideas?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I was stopped yesterday for less than 5 mins, when I put my truck into drive, I realized the motor had shut off. I havent been able to start it since then...The plugs and plug wires were replaced before I bought the truck 4 months ago...I replaced the coil & sprayed ether in the intake and there has been no change. My check engine light is not on so I assume I wont get any error codes with a reader. I tryed asking a guy at an auto parts store about maybe a clogged fuel filter, but he said he couldnt find one in his system for my truck...but without it starting with the ether, Im leaning more to an electrical problem...not sure what to check next....any ideas?
The fuel filter in the pump which is suspended inside the fuel tank, which is why he couldn't find it lol...

Try checking the fuel pressure, it's possible the pump has failed or the ASD relay is no good, I am leaning more towards a bad ASD relay because it is very common.

Try checking the fuel pressure first, then check the relay.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'd go after the ignition coil after checking for fuel pressure, and checking for fuel pressure requires a gauge, not a quick squirt at the fuel rail connector, it needs to be at least 35 PSI. I suspect that if you thump your fuel tank with the blunt side of a shovel, you will temporarily get your fuel pump back, if thats the problem. I lost a coil, all of a sudden, awhile back, heat seems to kill em, and they're mounted in a less than good place for staying cool.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'd go after the ignition coil after checking for fuel pressure, and checking for fuel pressure requires a gauge, not a quick squirt at the fuel rail connector, it needs to be at least 35 PSI. I suspect that if you thump your fuel tank with the blunt side of a shovel, you will temporarily get your fuel pump back, if thats the problem. I lost a coil, all of a sudden, awhile back, heat seems to kill em, and they're mounted in a less than good place for staying cool.
The fuel pressure is suppose to be 43 PSI +/- 5PSI, I had my van show 35 PSI and it would idle fine then crap out as soon as I started to drive.
Those coils last long, mine is 16 years old still going strong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts