DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with a 6.4 bed on it. It's starting to rust out around the wheel wells, tailgate, tie downs, and the bumper.

A body shop gave me a quote of $2,800. to repair, and to replace the bumper and put on fender flares.

My question is...are there new 6.4 beds out there for a 2006 Ram 1500 and how much would one cost, or would the repair job cost less?

If there are new beds available for the 06...where would I look?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
you can find them on e-bay or on junk yards- facebook market place, etc- every bed from single cab with 6'4" bed to quad cab fits. The only issue would be, to find one in your color.
Corrosion is like cancer. once there, you never get rid of it- the only way is, cut it out and pass in a new piece of metal, that's not feasible on corners. you might be able to "fix" it, but it will come back. Depending on how bad it is, a new bed seems to be the better option.
The bed can be also bought completely at Rockauto. There you also can buy the single parts- but then they have to be welded in and that's another story. Not proper done, you build your corrosion within.

make pictures, then someone can tell you for sure.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
I have a Brother In Law that is in the Auto Body business in Connecticut

I asked him last summer what his shop does about bed rust
They replace the whole bed & only do bed repair as a final option

Time wise & cost wise, buying a bed is cheaper
In Connecticut, i saw several beds that are pulled off Rams to put salt boxes & plows on the trucks.

There are several companies that sell bed panels, tailgates, fenders, etc.
If you are willing to drill out all of the spot welds, the panels may be the way to go

NEW Tailgates are around $500
New Bedsides for the Sweptline Beds are $200 per side

I don't see much about the Stepside beds on LMC truck in Lenexa, KS 66285
$125 shipping charges are added At
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/dc/full.aspx?Page=15

https://raybuck.com/panels/dodge/2002-2008-dodge-pickup-truck/
carries patch panels
1723 W. North Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15233

Used beds
https://dicksautoparts.com/c-1206614-truck-beds-dodge-truck-beds-02-08-dodge-ram-truck-beds-8-long-bed.html
Located in Middlebury, Indiana

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have seen complete used beds with tailgate and bumper for as low as $500 (slight dents but rustfree) on Craigslist

they usually run $700-$1000+ in my area (midwest)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy65,

You could be the person at the body shop I went to. He said the same thing you did about the rust being a cancer that never goes away. He also mentioned, like you did about welding in panels and parts after removing the bad sections, and a lot more expensive to do. I'm still not having any luck locating a new bed, even using the many suggestions from you and others in this forum. I'll keep looking a bit longer and if I still cant find a new bed, I'll go with the $2,800 body shop fix.
Thanks for your reply, it has helped me on making a decision on how to approach this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTyankee,
Thanks for the reply and information. Even with the search suggestions for a new bed, from you and others in this forum, I'm still striking out...but I'll keep on truckin. I guess I'm giving away my age with that statement and no pun intended.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
danmitram,
No luck there either. I sent an email to the customer care dept. at Dodge Corp. to see if they could come up with something. Still waiting on a reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guy65,

Seen that, unfortunately all 7 are used, and with rust...what you can't see, can hurt you later. From what I understand, the way the bed is constructed, there are 2 separate panels on each side of the bed and around the wheel wells. It's what might be in between them (rust) that I worry about. I'm not giving up yet on finding a new one :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Hey guy65,

Seen that, unfortunately all 7 are used, and with rust...what you can't see, can hurt you later. From what I understand, the way the bed is constructed, there are 2 separate panels on each side of the bed and around the wheel wells. It's what might be in between them (rust) that I worry about. I'm not giving up yet on finding a new one :)

Thanks again.

Depending on how long you want to keep the truck, I'd invest in a complete new one, let it get painted and let them spray underbody protection thick underneath before installing. Inside, I would recommend a spray in bed liner. I believe, this way, the life span of the bed will exceed the span of the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the search continues. A reply from Dodge Corp. Customer Service gave me the part number for the box and said they discontinued production of the box, but they didnt say when.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No dice with Rockauto again. Even with the part number that the Dodge Corp. customer care service sent me, I get an "item not found." So I sent them an email to find out if they had any in stock or if I was doing something wrong when searching their site, I'm old and I'm good at it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope....Same generic reply that I received the first time I emailed them. Says "if the parts not listed, we dont have it."

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
I don't believe that you will ever find a New bed, unless you have a time machine

I would not buy a used bed that has already been sprayed with any coating, IF it is dented or rusted.
Auto body shops would have to remove that coating to fix the dent or rust & believe me when i say they charge extra to remove it.

You can get it sprayed after it is repaired, if you desire it

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I guess, there is now a lot of junk yard digging involved.

Check e-bay and also check accidents with front end damage. I guess, there is not more we can help- except someone has a bed in his basement which he don't need anymore.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
Fortunately for you, unfortunately for the current owners, there have been several areas that have flooded this last couple of months.

You could post in the Wanted sections of sites like Craigslist to see if anyone has one for sale in the surrounding States

1 - 20 of 25 Posts