DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I haul cars with my 3500 6.7 S/T CC w/8-foot box 5th wheel; registered for 38,000#.

I regularly exceed 13,000# on my drive axle and would like to upgrade my factory rear leaf springs to ones out of a 5500. I have measured the ones on a colleague's 5500 and determined that the springs both measure 62.5" from eye to eye and, they are both 3' in width. What I haven't determined is the bolt sizes at the hangers. Are they the same?

I found a yard in KY that has a set of 5500 leaf springs and if I spend the required $400 for them, want to make sure I can switch them out without too many surprises.

Thank you in advance for helping me with this information.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
:SHOCKED:

I sincerely hope no offense is taken truckmen ;)

I would strongly suggest finding a H.D. Truck equipment
facility that specializes in this type of application, especially
if this is your livelihood :smileup:

A inexpensive repair or upgrade just has no merit @ 3 AM
in the middle of nowhere... Just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:SHOCKED:

I sincerely hope no offense is taken truckmen ;)

I would strongly suggest finding a H.D. Truck equipment
facility that specializes in this type of application, especially
if this is your livelihood :smileup:

A inexpensive repair or upgrade just has no merit @ 3 AM
in the middle of nowhere... Just my .02 ;)
No offense taken.

But still need to keep this truck on the road for the time being.

The upgrade I am considering would include switching out the rear axle altogether along with the leaf springs, and replace both with those out of a 5500. This should offer a little more in the way of compliance. If I could do this, I would be under maximum allowable for both the rear axle weight as well as leaf spring capacities.

The wheel size would also go up from 17" to the 19.5" giving me higher tire weigh capacities as well. If I am not mistaken, frames on both should be identical. I might need to do something about the driveline but need advice here on that.

Then there is the leaf spring mountings; are that also identical? I don't know yet.

Anyone know of a source for a used rear axle and set of leaf springs?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello all,

I haul cars with my 3500 6.7 S/T CC w/8-foot box 5th wheel; registered for 38,000#.

I regularly exceed 13,000# on my drive axle and would like to upgrade my factory rear leaf springs to ones out of a 5500. I have measured the ones on a colleague's 5500 and determined that the springs both measure 62.5" from eye to eye and, they are both 3' in width. What I haven't determined is the bolt sizes at the hangers. Are they the same?

I found a yard in KY that has a set of 5500 leaf springs and if I spend the required $400 for them, want to make sure I can switch them out without too many surprises.

Your working way to hard to solve a simple problem.
Just add firestone air bags. Your truck is rated to 32000 now. Firestone air bags up the rating by 5000.

I'm on THT,, The Hull Truth fishing forum. Have friends over there that haul in the 38000 towning huge boats all the time with just air bags.

Totally up to you as to your peace of mind but add air bags with their own pump and your set.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello all,

Your working way to hard to solve a simple problem.
Just add firestone air bags. Your truck is rated to 32000 now. Firestone air bags up the rating by 5000.

I'm on THT,, The Hull Truth fishing forum. Have friends over there that haul in the 38000 towning huge boats all the time with just air bags.

Totally up to you as to your peace of mind but add air bags with their own pump and your set. 600 dollars.........

I went the other way. Got rid of the big bottom helper spring and added air bags .. Improved the ride by 300 percent on my Drw 3500 and I let the air ride handle the weight but I only pull 26000 and that will always be my max. i got the wireless. no wires in the cab and had the remote. Love it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hello all,

You're putting twice the weight the of the axle rating on that axle when you count the actual weight of the rear of the truck plus your added 13,000 lbs. I think I would carry some extra wheel bearings and the tools needed to replace them, if that's the route you decided to take.

If you go the 5500 axle route, you have to think about the larger brakes on the rear axle and the issues you will have regarding the master cylinder possibly being too small for the larger rear calibers. Also you need to think about the brake proportioning valve that may not be calibrated for the new rear calibers. There is also a good possibility that the overall length of the 5500 rear axle is longer than the 3500 axle, since the 5500 truck doesn't come with a box and the front track of the 5500 truck is wider, which is indicated by those extra wide fender flares that come on the front of the 5500 truck. Sounds like you need to buy the right truck for the job to me.

You may also consider getting a different trailer with additional axles. Make sure they are spaced correctly to distribute the load more on the trailer, which would lighten the load on the kingpin/rear axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts